Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
10-03-2017, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 06:15 AM by pier4r.)
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
(10-03-2017 10:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you are aware of them, why are you redistributing them?

As wrote in another thread: because tomorrow the links could be gone (and indeed, some issues of hp solve were not directly reachable) just because someone moves the directory without updating the links. I mean, take for example the hp solve issue 30. I guess there was no intention to take it down, just the people that updated the website forgot it and for what I know it is not reachable anymore from the hp site.
With the p2p method, when kept alive by a community, the content is more resilient.

Websites are all nice and fancy, but extremely fragile, a misconfiguration (not even removals or deletions) and the source is gone. Different document root? Content unreachable. Wrong link? Content unreachable. Updated cgi processor? Content unreachable. Etc. Then of course come deletions, and then there is little to do.

The second, minor, point is that having a collection already done saves time to search single sources.

edit: I also share the links, but only the main ones, in the collaborative wiki http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=resources:start

While I thank you for the idea of contributing with what is not already available, I only partially agree. Even a different organization/availability of content is a contribution, I do not know if little or big, but it is one. Otherwise I would have hard time to justify works like: libraries, anthologies, collections, museums, etc. that often collect what already exists.

edit2: another example were the HHC contests pre 2016. Dropbox moved the links and the links from Gene, shared in the past for older contests, were not valid anymore.

Sure even a torrent can be invalidated if no one shares it (or files are moved from their intended location), but since we are not few there may be an higher chance to keep it alive.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents - pier4r - 10-03-2017 11:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)