Summing lists in directory structure
09-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Summing lists in directory structure
This one's caused me to scratch my head a bit, to be honest. I wanted to total up the amount we've spent on groceries (so far), so I took each day's amounts and put them all into named lists, like this: { 234.56 12.98 3.99 } 'JUN25' STO

Each month gets its own folder, i.e. JAN FEB MAR, APR ... OCTOB NOV DECEM.

When I want to add up the individual lists, I simply recall them one at a time, hit + between each one after the second one, and use ΣLIST when I have the final big list. I created a very short program thus:
Code:
\<< + ΣLIST 'TOTAL' STO
\>>
and stored it in each month's folder (yes, I know it's inefficient to all get go). I then run that program in each folder.
I have a folder structure that looks something like this:
Code:

GROCERIES
  JAN
    TOTAL MONTOT JAN11 JAN25
  FEB
    TOTAL MONTOT FEB8 FEB22
  OCTOB
  NOV
  DECEM

Now I'm wondering how to add together all the TOTALs in each folder to give me a sum at the end? Or better still, how would I use a better program than the one I cobbled together from perusing the User's Guide's List section? I'm sure that if I could run a program in the GROCERIES folder iterating over each month, I could gather the relevant variables together, sum them all, and give myself a total (I did this manually by adding together all the TOTALs) using the program instead.

Let me know if you need any further details, as I may not have explained myself very well.

Cheers, brickviking

(Post 82)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Summing lists in directory structure - brickviking - 09-14-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)