Running Simulators from teenix.org on virtual machine?
07-10-2017, 12:24 AM
RE: Running Simulators from teenix.org on virtual machine?
(07-09-2017 05:22 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  The biggest problem with some of the older OSes is that they don't recognize a shared drive from the host system. I have found that the simplest way is to have one Virtual machine that will use a share drive, in my case, I use my XP virtual machine. Then I just attached the Virtual Hard Drive from the other Virtual Machine to the XP and copy over what I need. Then reboot and I now have the files on the virtual machine that normally won't see a shared folder. This works fine for any old OS that will read a standard Fat partition.

An even easier way to do it is to specify VHD format when creating your virtual disks. Since around Windows 7, you can just double-click a VHD file to mount it, assuming it's a filesystem that Windows recognizes (e.g. any type of FAT). I wouldn't recommend doing this with NTFS volumes, though, since the SIDs and security descriptors will get weird. If you're running something like NT4 or earlier versions, which don't support VirtualBox shared folders, just mount a secondary FAT-formatted VHD to the VM and use that for copying. The VM has to be powered off before you mount its disk to Windows, of course.

Not sure if the Mac version of VirtualBox supports anything that macOS will mount natively. (.dmg, was it?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Running Simulators from teenix.org on virtual machine? - Dave Britten - 07-10-2017 12:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)