41CL chips going EOL - how many 41CL boards are desired in the future ?
06-15-2017, 06:19 PM
RE: 41CL chips going EOL - how many 41CL boards are desired in the future ?
(06-14-2017 06:57 PM)sa-penguin Wrote:  Wow, talk about timing. There's a Xilinx new Dev Board coming out, for about $90, called the Mini Zed.

At first I thought: what possible use could this have?
But when compared to the 41CL it has:
  • Plenty of Flash RAM,
  • USB port (for standard keyboard),
  • Arduino connector (for 3.5" LCD display),
  • Xilinx FPGA core for import of 41CL VHDL / Verilog...
...and suddenly there's a lot of potential.

There'd need to be changes, of course. Going from a scanned keypad to reading values from a USB-connected keyboard isn't exactly trivial.
BUT - I suspect this dev board has enough grunt to do the job.
Power & comms come from other USB ports, hanging off your PC. You could have the "41-CL2" sitting between your conventional keyboard, and your PC, ready to be invoked with a key shortcut.
Minimal loss of desk space.

That's a format which would interest me.

Replacing the keyboard would be the opposite of trivial. But it would be manageable if you merely translated the USB keyboard stuff directly into a open/closed set of signals that tied to the existing keyboard scanner. The Verilog source code for the NEWT is available on the 41CL website, as are the board schematics. I also have a Verilog model of the display driver chips, which would help translating to some other display format. I also have Verilog for the Timer chip.

In the past I have toyed with the idea of a "desktop" 41CL, with nice big LED displays, but never have gotten beyond the "that might be cool" stage.

Monte
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 41CL chips going EOL - how many 41CL boards are desired in the future ? - Monte Dalrymple - 06-15-2017 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)