Possible death of calculators in education?
05-21-2017, 01:24 PM
RE: Possible death of calculators in education?
(05-21-2017 01:45 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  ... what I'm against is memorization without understanding which is similar to plugging numbers into a calculator without understanding why.

Yes, I understand your argument, however, I have an alternate insight. What I suggest is a softening on your seemingly rigid perspective. I was often confronted with formulas. lemmas, theorems, postulates, etc I did not fully understand but had to accept if I was to advance in my academic endeavors. There are many instances of a mathematical/geometric EPIPHANY in my calculus classes with respect to formulas I memorized in my prior trigonometry and geometry classes. In other words, to advance I had to accept, on faith, the information presented was "true" without fully understanding that information but appreciating its' utility in the various applications being demonstrated. Perhaps this is simply the divergence between ENGINEERS and SCIENTISTS, application and research. Regardless, I find I'm still confronted with formulas which challenge my understanding, such as statistics. I memorize them first, then struggle to fully comprehend them as I utilize or apply them to the problem set under investigation. This seems very normal to me. I wish you the very best as you continue your intellectual development.

BEST!
SlideRule
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible death of calculators in education? - SlideRule - 05-21-2017 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)