WP34S USB and IR board now available!
04-29-2017, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 10:39 PM by c785.)
RE: WP34S USB and IR board now available!
I installed the USB board plus the IR diode and crystal today, and I post this because I have to admit I hate working with enamelled wire. So if anyone else hates it too, here's my solution.

So I usually work with (coloured) flat ribbon cables because they are so easy to cut to size (both in number of wires and in length) and the strands easy to separate where needed. They are much too thick, however, to fit underneath the LCD. Therefore, I opened up an old, broken DVD writer of mine, and found a 13-way PCB-to-PCB flexible cable in it. I cut it out, shortened it, and cut it down to just 6 lines, and that's how I get those six signals past the LCD.

There were a few minor changes I made, such as going to the top left pad of the 8-way connector landing area for ground (instead of C21). I also removed both 0-Ohm bridges and shorted them with the TxD and RxD wires themselves. Also, not in the pictures, I fixed the brown wire to R18 (for IR) to the PCB with some glue so that it gets out of the way of those standoffs on the bottom of the case when I assemble it.

Anyway, see for yourself:

I hope this can be of help to someone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34S USB and IR board now available! - c785 - 04-29-2017 10:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)