Helping the 50g, Prime or Nspire?
04-03-2017, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 09:29 PM by pier4r.)
Helping the 50g, Prime or Nspire?
So, I apologize for the recurring topic. Indeed I hope to have chosen a proper subforum. I did a research for the last year on this site, but I got only this thread, that's not bad but I have a bit different focus. As someone may have recognized, I started reusing the 50g and I'm pretty satisfied by the machine. The userRPL part requires some out of the box thinking to go faster (and it is welcomed, but time consuming) but I hope in the newRPL in the best case, and patience in the worst case (or hpgcc).

In terms of math functions, so far the ones exposed in the hp 50g user guide are covering my needs, sometimes I have a special wish but it can be worked out with the available built in functions and a bit of userRPL.

Anyway a big limit could be the memory, although I hope to try some ideas to juggle data from the eeprom/sd to the memory, do computations, and then read new data. Eventually expose the procedure (in userRPL or hpgcc as suggested by Claudio L.) for newcomers and use it a bit. (I have a pretty large dataset with thousand of entries waiting for the remedian.

Of course I can use a computer or a smartphone for some computations, but programming languages for the computer often are easier for developing, if I start to need specific libraries, the situation changes unless I use math environments like mathematica, matlab, scilab and co.
The math library of a calculator, plus 3rd party libraries, plus the interface that is very suitable to insert numbers and functions, all this makes a calculator just great. Moreover I don't have many systems that I can dedicate to one intensive task without being interrupted, so a calculator can do it, and silently. Last but not least, I love to use calculators, and that's is already a motivation.

So looking around, mostly on some wikipedia pages, I found out the following.

- programmable calculators with 4Mb or more of RAM, plus at least 16 MB of storage
HP: Hp prime (32 mb ram, 256 mb storage)
TI: nspire (16 mb ram, 20 mb storage), nspire CX (64 mb ram, 100 mb storage)
Casio:

Aside from the ram/storage requirement, other requirements are more or less obvious.
- having a good math library, at least like the one built in in the 50g, even better with 3rd party libraries (therefore an active and passionate community is needed).
- executing programs natively (the hp50g with his userRPL emulation is ok, but sometimes it takes too much workarounds to get one first working solution that does not take ages)
- having an expressive enough programming language (at least one) that is not arbitrarily limited, like it would be a bit of a pity to have Mbytes of ram available, and then arrays capped to a length of, say, 1024.
- having good tools for development (at least like the hp 50g for the userRPL, even better if syntax error is added)
- having a native version of the OS as application for windows PC or android, so one could reuse the programs without a layer of emulation that slows down everything.
- having a good keyboard for typing numbers, common functions and also letters.
- having good software menus or otherwise one is doomed to type commands manually. (the menus on the hp 50g are ok)
- having a good documentation, even better when expanded by the community (see calculus marathons for the 50g, then all the manuals about userRPL, sysRPL and so on).

I did not extensively searched for possible problems and limitations of the Prime or of the nspire series. I read a bit there and there, but it seems that I get mostly common questions, as expected. So I ask the ones that likely have at least one of those machines plus an 50g (or 49g+ or 48 series), what you would recommend and why?

PS: I know that few may have or use new TI calculators here on this forum, but nevertheless I ask.

On ebay.de I see a lot of used (and we know how much used are the calculators) nspire (no CX) for 50 euro, and 50g for 90 euro. So if the ti nspire are ok, well one could think about the previous model.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Helping the 50g, Prime or Nspire? - pier4r - 04-03-2017 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)