On Convergence Rates of Root-Seeking Methods
03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
RE: On Convergence Rates of Root-Seeking Methods
(03-11-2018 11:36 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Rather than Newton's which requires the derivative, did you mean secant?
I did mean Newton, with a formula to approximate the derivative, or if the expression has a derivative the system can determine it algebraically and use it.

(03-11-2018 11:36 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Dieter is correct, I'd recommend Brent's method for a bracket solver. It is guaranteed to get a solution and is quadratically convergent almost always. There was a modification in the 34S to also include the Ridder's method in addition to Brent's secant, inverse quadratic and bisection methods. Testing indicated that it was beneficial, although I don't remember the conditions under which it is used.

There is quite a bit of code before the searching can begin. If the initial estimates don't bracket the solution, a bisection step is done before switching to more advanced methods. There might be a forced secant step after the bisection, I'm not sure anymore. If the first two function evaluations are equal, it does a bisection step and if that produces a third equal value a right then left step exponentially increasing interval scan is done. When there is only one initial estimate, it stars with the interval scan.

Pauli

Brent seems like a powerhouse combo of other methods. If I implement Brent, does it make any sense to offer the user a choice to use bisection, etc.? It will probably end up being the default method, unless complex mode is enabled, then something like Muller seems to be the only choice?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: On Convergence Rates of Root-Seeking Methods - Claudio L. - 03-12-2018 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)