[WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
02-04-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc.
(02-04-2014 07:48 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Using characters we didn't have space, but if you're going to graphics, it would be possible.
Actually all of my code is based on character display, it's just that the font can be selected and the width overriden for each individual character. What you suggested would need entirely new code branches or sacrificing some already existing characters.

The new Y register code reserves a 7 pixel wide area on the left side for various indicators (the last column is always blank). This allows displaying the indicators for double precision mode, gradian mode, stack sizes, complex result ('i'), Cartesian result ('y') and polar result ('<') relatively nicely. Most of the time the blank space between indicators and the number is more than 1 pixel wide. What you suggested requires 3 columns (2 + 1 blank). A small 'i' for complex results would fit into that space and I guess we could squeeze in a tiny 'd' for DP mode (although it'd have to be a character that doesn't currently exist), but there'd be no more gradian, 'y' or '<', and the number would always be separated from the indicators by a 1 pixel wide strip only.

Reserving four pixels (3 + 1 blank) might be better: It'd allow DP mode indication, a tiny 'G' for gradian, 'y', maybe even '<'.

(02-04-2014 07:48 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  It also leaves space for the complex result indicator:
I think a small 'i' would be better and that'd fit just as well.

(02-04-2014 07:48 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I don't know if there is enough distinction between these to make things obvious or not.
I think it'd be pushing the limits of what's easily legible. The question is whether reducing the horizontal space required from 7 pixels to 4 or maybe 3 would be worth it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] Enhanced Y register display: fractions, bugfixes etc. - Bit - 02-04-2014 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)