FORTRAN floating point accuracy problems
03-31-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: FORTRAN floating point accuracy problems
(03-31-2016 09:00 AM)HP67 Wrote:  [... a lot ]

Thanks for all the input. Here and there I see clearer now.
  • Your Fortran compiler supports extended precision, at least 15 digits. This can be seen in the input column of the 1/3 test. The variable V that holds 1,0D0/3,0D0 has the correct value 0,33333 33333 33333.
  • The rounded output however does not hold more that 9 valid digits. So some precision was lost inside the DROUND function. So the limited accuracy is lost by something Fortran-specific.
As I said before, I do not have any experience with Fortran. But from what I read, mixing several data types in a calculation can cause weird results. In this case the DROUND function has two major critical points:
  • R = IDINT(10.0D0 ** P + 0.5D0)
    Here R is declared as a double precision real. P is an (two-byte?) integer and IDINT is said to return a 4-byte integer (i.e. something with at most 10 digits). So what is the resulting precision for R? Maybe you can do the 1/3 test again and have DROUND return R to that it is listed in the table where now the rounded 1/3 values appear.
  • DROUND = IDINT(R * X + 0.5D0) / R
    Again, at this moment we do not know the precision of R. And again IDINT should return a 4-byte integer with at most 10 digits. This could be the reason for the reduced accuracy.

This is the point where I fear I cannot be of much help any longer, as further debugging requires knowledge in Fortran. But maybe there are some experts here.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FORTRAN floating point accuracy problems - Dieter - 03-31-2016 12:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)