(50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept
12-12-2017, 08:58 PM
RE: (50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept
It's pretty safe to put it on the calculator, I've had it on mine for what, five years now? (Can't believe how much time has passed already - the earliest timestamps I can find in my various HPGCC3-related files are from July 2012. That's about one year after I got the 50G itself, and a bit more than a year before pier4r's benchmark project...) Anyway, HPGCC3 doesn't interfere with the normal operation at all, and if something goes wrong while flashing or you somehow want to get rid of it, you can simply retry or flash the original ROM again. Literally the only downside is that it reduces the size of port 2 by 256 KiB (or was it just 128? I don't remember). I installed it and never looked back - I only flashed the calculator once more after that (again HPGCC3, this time built with a newer compiler; I hoped to squeeze a tiny bit of additional performance out of the libraries via the enhancements applied to the compiler's code optimization strategies).

As a bonus, building HPGCC3 sets you up with a development environment for HPGCC3, so you can start writing your own stuff in C or C++ right away (other languages might need some effort to interface with the HPGCC3 libraries, but it should be possible as long as the language can be compiled for ARMv4T).

Emu48 won't run HPGCC3 because HPGCC3 runs directly on the ARM hardware (that's its entire point) whereas Emu48 only emulates the Saturn layer. There's x49gp which does run HPGCC3 (I'm using that as my debugging platform), but it is a "build it for yourself on Linux" deal as well. Not a problem for me at all because I run Linux anyway, and I sometimes tinker with the software (i.e. building something myself happens all the time - for example, in the last 2-3 weeks I messed with the touchpad driver part of libinput, adding some features I wanted), but for Windows users who are not familiar with Linux or compilers that might be a bit uncomfortable. (Though to be fair, compilers shouldn't pose a problem to most of the members around here, considering the topic of this community.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: (50G) [HPGCC3] DRAW3DMATRIX replacement with grayscale surfaces, proof of concept - 3298 - 12-12-2017 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)