What Was Your First Programming Language?
07-05-2015, 06:34 AM
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language?
(07-03-2015 05:51 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  What was your first programming language?

The first was Algol 60, at school in 1972. We used to write up our programs on coding sheets which were posted to the nearest university computer centre, 115 miles away, where they were keypunched and submitted as an overnight job to the compiler. Then they would post back a fan-fold print out, which usually said "Syntax error on line 2".

Over the years, I've used FORTRAN IV, BASIC on a variety of mini- and micro-computers, PL/M, PL/I (mostly the Digital Research subset G compiler and its related tools), Pascal, Clascal (the language of the Apple Lisa), Ada, Lisp, Scheme, C, C++, xBase, REXX, Perl, Python, Prolog, JavaScript, Java, OCaml and multiple assemblers. I even contributed a chapter on programming languages to a textbook, many years ago. These days, I'm working with my own domain-specific language for dealing with computational trust and risk.

But no RPG, and I only ever wrote one COBOL program, to show how verbose it was. Wink

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language? - Les Bell - 07-05-2015 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)