WP-34S PDF Manual Vers 3.3 Availability?
04-09-2015, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 07:09 PM by BarryMead.)
RE: WP-34S PDF Manual Vers 3.3 Availability?
(04-09-2015 06:44 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  If a document, what I bought, is not usable independent of the connection to the Internet, this is not user friendly. I would not buy such a document.
Many people feel this way. I have seen a number of book sellers use a simpler (not ideal) compromise to handle this issue. They "LOCK" the PDF so that it can be READ but cannot be ALTERED, and ENCODE the user name into each downloaded copy. This means that the online selling application needs to gather the user name at the time of purchase (from the credit card or paypal info) and ENCODE/LOCK it into the document prior to download.

Each PDF is unique in this way, and if someone SHARES their PDF document with others it will be traceable back to the VIOLATOR.

I realize that this method only ENCOURAGES honesty, and does not FORCE it directly. DRM can FORCE honesty, but has the price of being difficult to use and incompatible with standard PDF viewers.

Both options have their benefits and drawbacks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP-34S PDF Manual Vers 3.3 Availability? - BarryMead - 04-09-2015 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)