newRPL documentation - Part I available
03-26-2015, 04:38 PM
RE: newRPL documentation - Part I available
(03-25-2015 12:35 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Claudio,

I have downloaded all your documentations and source codes.

My development platform is a MacBookPro running OS/X v10.10.2.
I am using QT Creator 3.3.0 with QT 5.4.0 and Clang 6.0 64 bits (LLVM).

I have tried to compile the source code and I get several errors and lots of warnings.

I have just committed to the repository the simulator sources. I did a test and had to change a couple of things for it to compile with Clang, so the old sources you have will not do the magic.
I suggest you clone the new repository in a new folder and start again.
I used nearly the same configuration you have but on FreeBSD and it compiled fine. Bear in mind that there's a couple of issues: newRPL was created for 32-bit platforms, and while it compiles and apparently runs fine on 64-bits, I have not done any checks that it is actually compatible (other than a simple run).
On 64-bit platforms, pointers are 8-bytes instead of 4-bytes, so there could be a few places where this could be a problem (pointer arithmetics). With good coding it shouldn't be, but I haven't checked and there could be an issue in a few places (I hope not too many). The platform itself is quite stable, so if you notice any crashes, it is likely
due to this, please report with me and I'll track it down.
You can build the main .pro file for the GUI demo, or go inside the newrpl directory and open the newrpl-base.pro file to run the old console based demo.
For FreeBSD I had to add a LIBS += ... statement on the .pro files or it wouldn't find the Qt5 libraries. This directory might vary with your installation of Qt5, and you might actually have to remove it (should work out of the box without it, but for some reason my Qt Creator wasn't detecting the Qt5 libraries directly, and manually adding them to the Kit wouldn't let the linker find them after a successful compile).

What you should get when you compile:
* Around 400 warnings are normal, most of them are harmless type casts or redefinitions due to including the same header twice. These will be cleaned up as I go, but there should no errors. Clang has many more warnings than gcc.
* The GUI simulator only responds to the number keys, the dot, the 4 basic operations , Enter and BackSpace for now. Ah, the right cursor does SWAP!!!. The rest is being worked on.
* If you want to play with the RPL language, I recommend you build the text demo to be able to type something other than numbers. It won't take me long to implement the rest of the keys, but it's work in progress. I'm working on some keys with special behavior first, like +/- and EEX keys, proper text editor, etc.
* There's no keyboard drawn on the screen, just the green simulated screen.
* No soft menus (they are drawn as a mock-up, not functional yet).
* An annoying text in the lower-right corner shows which key you pressed (this is for debug only and will be removed as soon as I finish working on the keyboard handlers).
* Errors are displayed during 5 seconds and don't stop you from continuing your work, no need to press anything, just read and keep working until they disappear.

Don't get disappointed with the GUI demo yet, remember it hasn't been released, you are building directly from the development branch where all work is happening. Once there's a release you'll be able to select from the stable tags or the bleeding edge.

Thanks for trying to compile!
Let me know if you can compile the GUI in OSX, it should work fine now.

Claudio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL documentation - Part I available - Claudio L. - 03-26-2015 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)