newRPL documentation - Part I available
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: newRPL documentation - Part I available
(03-12-2015 08:42 AM)Ailurus Wrote:  I've read the guide now and gone through the examples you give and I'm really pleased with it. I can only speak as someone who knew how to program already and someone who somewhat knew RPL, but I think it is written in a style that is very accessible to newcomers.

If there's anyone out there who feels like they wanted to learn RPL but haven't yet, I encourage you too take a look at this guide! You don't need a demo of newRPL installed on your computer as it's possible to do the examples right on your 50g calculator.

I'm thinking that adding some style could maybe add to the readability? Such as having a <kbd>...</kbd> tag around button presses. I also wonder if the smaller font size in the later part of the text is intentional or not?

Thanks for the feedback!
I didn't put much attention to formatting. I'd like to have better fonts for the RPL programs, and I have no clue what happened to the font size.
At least I feel encouraged to write the second chapter, now that at least there's one reader! (the zero replies on this post and the hit-count on the website suggested that nobody cared to read it).

Regarding following the examples with a 50g, I strongly disagree with doing that. While the languages are mostly compatible, examples using newRPL specific features will give errors or just behave differently on the 50g and discourage the reader. In this first part, for example, the entire section devoted to local variables diverges from the classic userRPL way.
You can't declare locals anywhere in the code with LSTO on the 50g. Also, you can't sandbox an existing program by creating wrappers with local variables with the same name. Those are new concepts, unheard of in userRPL but they bring a more "modern" way of programming in RPL. None of those examples would work on a 50g.

The next part I'm planning to introduce the different types of objects and enough background for the reader to understand how to use them and the differences with the 50g (believe it or not there are many!).

Thanks again for reading!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL documentation - Part I available - Claudio L. - 03-12-2015 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)