[34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
02-19-2015, 01:31 PM
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
(02-19-2015 10:10 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  However, some calculators support power operations on registers like RCL-arrow-^ and STO-arrow-^. It might be a good idea to reserve the key currently assigned to XEQ for this purpose (as it is in the same row as all those power functions and also above the ^ key, so it seems mnemo-technically the best choice).
RCL and the arrows are already used for the RCL combined with minimum/maximum operations, and you need the arrow keys to enter them. How would your proposal work in relation to that?

(02-19-2015 10:10 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe it would be sufficient to only allow stack-relative addressing with some commands: e.g. RCL, STO, x<->, RCL/STO combined with basic operations, and their complex variants, but even then, it's very many new code points.
I'm open on this.
What I'm curious about is whether all of these new commands would fit into the bytecode at all, or what tricks would need to be employed to make them fit.

(02-19-2015 10:10 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Alternatively, we might think about implementing some kind of "smart" switch between the current functions of the up/down keys and a stack roll function.
You'll have to be careful with the arrows as pointed out above.

(02-19-2015 10:10 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  One possible solution, although not ideal, would be to store this and other necessary values in the first re-purposed register, so that the initial allocation for the dynamic stack would have to allocate two registers instead of one. We would
still need a single bit flag to indicate the existance of the dynamic stack then.
That'd work but it'd be somewhat wasteful, especially in double precision mode. You'd only need 7 bits so I'd be surprised if there was a better way than stealing some user flags.

(02-19-2015 10:10 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  
Quote:but once the dust has settled down a bit, could you provide a single list of all proposed stack rotate and similar operations, each with a short explanation of what they do, how they'd be entered from the keyboard, and why they're useful?
I certainly can do that if necessary.
I can only speak for myself but in my opinion it is absolutely necessary if you'd like useful feedback.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack - Bit - 02-19-2015 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)