WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal
01-29-2015, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 08:43 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal
Greetings, I received my FTDI adapters this afternoon in the mails. They worked fine with MySamba with a very pleasant surprise that may interest some of you EE DIY kinda guys -- so read on for some tips and caveats.

[Image: FTDI_PL2303HX.png]

First, the really fabulous surprise with this FTDI based USB -> Serial adapter--- its dual voltage; yup... 3.3v and 5.1/ ... so if you want to power the 30b from the PC without an LM117 you can open this adapter and move the Vcc line from the 5.1 volt pinout to the 3.3 volt pinout. The Vcc line has been moved in this photo. When the adapter arrived it only had four wires through the cable and the 3.3v volt line was open. With the 30b connected (batteries out) the Vcc drops to a very nice 3.0 volts; and there is enough current to flash!

Now for a caveat and workaround. i successfully flashed two units with this adapter, after checking loopback. The first time it worked without a hitch, so I setup to flash the second unit. IT DID NOT WORK... "unable to connect". I checked everything, and I mean everything, and no go. rats. Then it dawned on me, after reading some posts here about the difficulties negotiating the protocol with some of these chipsets at 115200, and I got to wondering if my loopback test had the chipset 'stuck' at 9600,8,N,1 so that the 115200 would never work. Consequently I opened another loopback check with minicom, only this time I set the chipset at 115200,8,N,1 and when finished I exited minicom without a reset. Viola!

Does one picture really say 10 thousand words, including thanks to everyone who helped me, and especially to those of you who are now famous, a BIG FAT thank you for the WP34s! ?

[Image: pauliwaller.png]

Cheers
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP34s Repurposing Journey PhotoJournal - MarkHaysHarris777 - 01-29-2015 05:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)