Landscape RPN calculator with alphanumeric display
03-20-2015, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:44 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Landscape RPN calculator with alphanumeric display
(03-20-2015 04:29 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(03-19-2015 06:35 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  Think about infrastructure vs. interface. Which is more important to you?

Good Core + Good UI = Useful program
Good Core + Bad UI = Only useful for a handful of gurus willing to put up with it
Bad Core + Good UI = Fun to use but useless junk
Bad Core + Bad GUI = Useless junk

The only good combination is to have both a good core and a good interface.
The core *HAS* to be good. If the infrastructure is bad, no interface will save it.
An example of a good core with a bad ui is the 'sed' utility in **nix Operating Systems. The syntax is so cryptic that it takes 3 hours reading the manual every time you try to use it. That makes a very powerful regex engine only useful to a few people that have the patience, and makes people who actually use it a lot less productive than they could be.

For SED, check out the "Advanced BASH Scripting Guide" here. And I agree with your analogy.

Probably the most useful single doc for learning command line Linux I've seen. Readble style and quick overviews are useful, but also includes stuff that gets waaay complex and powerful. Check it out - it made SED useful for me (about 10% of it that is). SED is very reminiscent of TECO on DEC machines. Anyone here remember TECO?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Landscape RPN calculator with alphanumeric display - rprosperi - 03-20-2015 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)