Curiosity about HP 50 and x^2 vs x^y
11-10-2023, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2023 03:44 AM by DavidM.)
RE: Curiosity about HP 50 and x^2 vs x^y
There's lots of potential questions being answered here, but I'm wondering if we may have missed the meaning of what Camionsauro was actually asking

If the 50g is still set to the default algebraic mode (or you start editing an algebraic expression in either mode), pressing the \(x^2\) key results in "SQ()" being added to the command line instead of "^2" being appended to the previous object. Since SQ is a function, it places "SQ()" in the command line and leaves the cursor flashing between the parentheses.

To see how different the treatment of the \(x^2\) and \(y^x\) keys are, try putting your 50g in algebraic mode, or simply start building an algebraic expression (using tick marks) with those keys.

Since most of us use RPN mode instead of algebraic, we aren't as likely to see the effect that Camionsauro is referring to.

Then again, I may be the one who is confused here. Smile But I believe Camionsauro may either have his 50g in algebraic mode, or perhaps he’s editing an algebraic.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curiosity about HP 50 and x^2 vs x^y - DavidM - 11-10-2023 02:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)