Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear'
07-10-2023, 09:14 PM
Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear'
I love the 4-pen Alps printer/plotter mechanisms that were used by dozens of manufacturers back in the day. Repairing then and keeping them working is a struggle. The #1 failure is the pinion gears on the stepper motors. Being a simple spur gear, it was possible to commission getting a large number made at a reasonable price. These brass gears will last a lifetime.

The second most common failure is the Y-Axis (paper) anti-backlash gear set. This is a set of two interlocking gears that are spring loaded to reduce backlash on the Y-Axis. The outer gear is pressed onto a steel shaft and cracks (like the plastic pinions do.) Being quite complex machining replacements if not practical commissioning a mold is far too expensive.

Thankfully now we have relatively inexpensive 3D printers that use a UV curable resin. I picked up a low cost one recently, on sale, and have spent the last two weekends trying to reproduce this gearset. I finally got what looks to be a workable set after about 10 tries. It took a while to get familiar with printing with resin as it is unlike FDM (filament) printing.

Attached are a few pictures with a ruler for scale. The resin used is no ideal for this application but does produce very good detail and is inexpensive enough to experimentation. I also have some 'ABS like' resin which I'll try next if the design proves feasible. It is tougher and will make a better long-term replacement.

I'm excited about being able to reproduce small mechanical parts for out old calculator and pocket computers. This opens up new possibilities.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear' - Jeff_Birt - 07-10-2023 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)