Broken HP 71B. Where to start?
03-23-2022, 09:01 PM
RE: Broken HP 71B. Where to start?
Welcome!

The situation you describe here is not uncommon, the acid from the batteries went on
It’s journey an you are forced to repair the damage….

The connection between the keyboard and the CPU is not designed for when acids starts to wander…

I have soldered more than a handful - making them work again, but this does require some experience. Not a lot, but some.

If you are keen with a soldering iron and thin wires, you can make it work. If not, put it back on the market.

(03-22-2022 11:44 PM)Seirin-Blu Wrote:  Hello,

I'm very new to the world of vintage calculators and come from the land of vintage mechanical keyboards. I recently found a broken HP 71B and am a little bit puzzled on where to start. I cleaned the corrosion off of the battery contacts and opened it up to see if there were any exploded capacitors (there weren't). There seems to be a bit of corrosion on the band between what I assume is the motherboard and display/keypad that I cannot seemed to clean of without damaging the cable. Is there something I can short to turn it on from the motherboard and check? Or should I just list this on ebay to someone who knows what they're doing more than I?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Broken HP 71B. Where to start? - KimH - 03-23-2022 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)