Code formatting messed up...
09-13-2018, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 08:12 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
Wink RE: Code formatting messed up...
(09-13-2018 06:37 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 08:27 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Well, I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a Linux machine and in this line

Code:
I = I + α ( Correct I to point after embedded object where α is the length of the object )

The alphas are displayed in bold for some reason. I've attached a screenshot :

Here is how it looks like on Windows / Firefox 62 (click to view the full size image).

You can see that
  • the code blocks start with a blank line. This is also what the HTML source reflects (starts with a "<br />" tag).
    So this is the way it is supposed to be displayed.

• the lines in the code blocks are indented, either by 4 or by 8 characters. This is also reflected in the HTML code where these lines start with 4 or 8 "&nbsp;" hard spaces.
    So this is the way it is supposed to be displayed.

But this does not agree with what you reported about what you see in your browser:

(09-12-2018 08:27 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Thanks for the tip but it doesn't help in my case and I don't see a blank line from the browser I'm using.

So you do not see the blank lines in the code blocks, as shown in my screenshot?

I do see them, but not on the article page :/

Quote:
(09-12-2018 08:27 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  ...I use always use Gedit or XeD, but, that still didn't fix the problem.

When you edited the code in your external editor, did you possibly use tabs to get these indentations? Or does this editor maybe replace multiple spaces with tabs?

Well, the editor I've been using doesn't have the ability to convert spaces to tabs -- it can create spaces instead of tabs when one presses the TAB key though.

Quote:Your screenshot also shows that the code blocks are displayed with a serif font, maybe Courier. Maybe you can write something in a word processor with this font, including the alpha character. How is it displayed there?

Well, in LIbreOffice, the alpha character is not bold.

Quote:Just another test: do you see some or all of the following characters in bold?

α β γ Δ Γ
α β γ Δ Γ
α β γ Δ Γ
α β γ Δ Γ

I = I + α
I = I + α
I = I + α

I see the third line in bold, except for delta. Also, all the alphas are bold.

Quote:Finally, here is the second code block of your RPL inner loop article, composed on a Windows system and formatted without indentations:

Code:
PROLOG -> PROLOG ( The prolog address at the start of the prolog code points to itself )
IF O + Δ =/= PC
THEN GOTO INDIRECT ( Test for direct execution )
O = I - Δ ( Correct O to point to start of embedded object )
I = I + α ( Correct I to point after embedded object where α is the length of the object )
INDIRECT ( rest of prolog )

How does this look like on your system? Do you still see bold alphas?

Everything looks fine except the bold alphas :/

Quote:I think we will get all this resolved... sooner or later. ;-)

Dieter

Thanks for your help! Big Grin I've fixed most of the formatting problems in the article but I'm still puzzled as to why I'm seeing random Greek characters in bold.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-13-2018, 06:37 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Jonathan Busby - 09-13-2018 07:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)