Code formatting messed up...
09-12-2018, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 08:32 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
RE: Code formatting messed up...
(09-12-2018 08:03 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 07:31 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  When I view this article which I wrote recently, some of the text in the code blocks was not formatted correctly, and I checked and there are no extraneous spaces or tabs. Also, Greek character alpha ( α ) is shown in bold in one of the code blocks. In addition, when I try to add newlines between the elements in a bulleted list, they do nothing and the list's contents are stacked right on top of each other, which is quite ugly.

Is there any way to fix this?

Quote:The only alpha I see is not bold.
A look at the page's source code also shows no tags for bold text there.

Well, I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a Linux machine and in this line

Code:
I = I + α ( Correct I to point after embedded object where α is the length of the object )

The alphas are displayed in bold for some reason. I've attached a screenshot :

Quote:Regarding the formatting and blanks: please note that the museum's editor uses a proportinal font, while the final result (when the article is displayed) is shown with a fixed width font. So the message editor is not "WYSIWYG"!. It's a good idea to prepare such code blocks in an external editor (that is set to a fixed-width font) and finally copy the code block from there into the museum's message editor. That's the way I do it.

Yes, I know this, and I use always use Gedit or XeD, but, that still didn't fix the problem.

Quote:By the way, you should start your code right after the intial [ code ] tag, and not in the next line. Otherwise the code block will start with a blank line, as shown in your post.

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't help in my case and I don't see a blank line from the browser I'm using.

Quote:Another hint: use the "Preview Post" button before posting a message. This will show you how the final result will look like. Don't press the "Post Reply" button until you're satisfied with the result.

I know you probably don't mean it, but I don't like being patronized and I've been using the web for decades and I'm familiar with forums -- I used to post regularly on the old HP Museum forums, which are now archived...

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Jonathan Busby - 09-12-2018 08:27 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-13-2018, 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)