Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators
07-12-2018, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2018 09:42 AM by sasa.)
Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators
Data retention issue is mentioned several times at this forum as side note (at least what I found), however this issue deserve separated thread.

While very old calculators may still works fine after 45+ years, nowadays calculators (including any electronic today) may have a very short life. According to the most problematic lifetime component (capacitors), the lifetime of general electronic are usually the same as a warranty not exceed 3 or 5 years.

Aside of that, the datasheet of nowadays MCUs used flash memory typically state retention times of 20 years at 85 °C and 100 years at 25 °C (in this case former ATMEL MCUs, in specific controlled environment). SRAM have much shorter lifetime (up to 5 years, IIRC). And as well humidity may influence moderately. Of course, these figures are given for ideal conditions tested - I hope there is many EE here which may elaborate with more precise information.

What then we can expect for the real lifetime of quite expensive modern CAS capable graphic calculators? At least I briefly noted, HP Prime, HP-50g and similar (ARM based) have basic warranty of only 1 year.

It would be interesting to hear about experience of modern HP calculator users: duration and frequency of usage, probably defect due warranty period and similar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators - sasa - 07-12-2018 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)