My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype
06-22-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2014 10:47 PM by jebem.)
RE: My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype (updated on 25-May)
(06-22-2014 02:20 PM)anetzer Wrote:  Jebem,

Do you have any high resolution pictures of the board in the switch box? It might be interesting how you laid it out. I'd also like to be able to control, how posts and poles of certain parts are connected.

Thank you,

a.

Hi, Anetzer,

Thanks for your interest!
The WP-34S project is really nice to follow and it is a good way to spend our spare time.
Well, this switch box project was a prototype, so my switch box interior design is really
of no big interest, as the components were placed as I did the project iterative experimentation process.
It looks ugly and messy, so no one will want to copy that "layout" at all Smile

The print circuit board (PCB) was built on a small piece of veroboard , but again,
I have put the components without any kind of layout planning.

To develop the presented circuit schematics (published in the OP), I followed what usually we do when prototyping.
We start by collecting information, then design the initial electronics circuit on paper according to the project's specifications,
do some simulation (I didn't, as this is too simple to require simulation), then we build the physical circuits
by following the best practices concerning soldering and component relative positioning when electromagnetic interference is a issue
(that's not the case in this project, as we deal here with very low frequencies and currents),
do comprehensive testing, experiment with circuit corrections/optimizations to fit the design specifications,
and then go back to the design phase.
After a couple of design cycles I got the final schematics.

As I stated in another post, when I have the time I will build a list of materials and a PCB layout, but I can't promise anything.

But because you asked, despite being ashamed to display my prototype internals,
here are the pictures (from one of my web publication sites: http://suna-jebem.blogspot.pt/ ):

Please feel free to criticize, comment, improve the circuit and ask any questions.
We learn by sharing our thoughts and this MoHPC portal is invaluable as such.

[Image: SAM_7748.JPG] [Image: SAM_7749.JPG] [Image: SAM_7751.JPG] [Image: Flash_box_hp_30b_sch_proto_001a.jpg]

[Image: 001.jpg] [Image: HP-30B_Flash_Box_002.jpg] [Image: HP-30B_Flash_Box_003.jpg] [Image: WP-34S_001.jpg]

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype (updated on 25-May) - jebem - 06-22-2014 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)