Returning more than 12 digits for a result
03-18-2018, 10:26 AM
RE: Returning more than 12 digits for a result
Nice video, although Matt made a "parker square" error again. (If someone follows standupmaths and numberphile on youtube, Matt "square" Parker is known for his "I give it a try even if I fail" that I love. We need more people like Matt and James Grime and others.... I would duplicate people also from this forum without a second thought)

Some notes (that may be confirmed or not by more knowledgeable people) follows.

The formula shown in the video is integer based (well, aside from the result) so you can create a program to compute the single parts. The 50g has built in exact mode for large numbers.

For the division, either you program by yourself or you find (and then share please) a division algorithm that works as Matt did in the video using only integers (it is a matter of repeated subtractions). Therefore outputting the result as a string rather than a floating point number. question to people with better memory: did someone created such algorithm already in RPL?

So either the above, or you use longfloat ( https://www.hpcalc.org/details/5363 ). One of the many libraries that are amazing for the 50g (sadly one of the few that I know. So much gold out of there that I am not aware of).

Or we add another processing list challenge and we treat lists as numbers and we implement addition / subtraction / division / etc.... That may be not fast, but would be fun and maybe expressive. (one could do the same with strings)
Hmm, adding to my endless todo list.

Others may have other ideas.
Said that, on PI (less on other irrational numbers) much was computed in this forum. I am going to pick some discussions that may help one sec...

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Returning more than 12 digits for a result - pier4r - 03-18-2018 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)