How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
05-28-2015, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2015 05:05 AM by AnalogJoe.)
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
Les Bell: Wow, I can understand that you are deeper into the rabbit hole than we are, its been a long time since 74. Ohhh and "Hello Les!, Im also an addict!"

Brian D: I think we've all shared the same story, someone asks if he/she can borrow our calculator, we answer "sure" and hand over the HP calc, deep inside we are just waiting for the moment to come, and sure enough the moment comes when he/she asks "So how do I sum these two numbers?, wheres the equal sign and why does the calculator display an error?", after a brief explanation about how the calculator is a little different than the rest they politely return the calculator and ask someone else for a calculator.

Dave Bitten: I guess some of us 30 year olds still consider RPN as something good but it is not very appealing to the younger generations. I teach a couple of classes and havent seen any youngsters with RPN HP calcs, not even one, 80% own a Casio, and the rest are either TI or Sharp, the very few who do own an HP have one of those new Chineese non RPN HPs, oddly enough I've found that those HP calcs have exactly the same software as the Casios, same menus, even the same text style, which makes me believe they are just rebranded Casios or similar.

To further add to your comparison with TI calcs, some years ago I would still acknowledge some of the benefits of TI calcs when compared to HP calcs, arguably some people could lean towards the TI's or the HP's, but now HP completely blew away the competition with the Prime, Ive seen comparision videos and HP really did it this time, there is absolutely no comparison between the Prime and the rest of the calcs, as of now, the HP Prime is the thinest, most powerful and fastest calculator in the market. The Hp Prime has RPN, Algebraic CAS, and it is the only one with a fully working touchscreen, the plotting speed is orders of magnitude faster than any other calculator, It doesnt get easier than that. Plus its very friendly, so friendly that many TI lovers who used to diss the HPs for being 'difficult to use' calculators are now getting HP Primes, Ti will have to do something fast if they dont want to loose the highschool/college market which is mostly dominated by them. The older HPs are great, I for one love my 48GX the most, but to be honest those HP Primes are truly a work of art, I have one myself and it blows my mind every time I use it.

Regardless of which particular calc im using at a certain momment, im happy as long as it is RPN.....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you? - AnalogJoe - 05-28-2015 03:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)