Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg?
12-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg?
Before I start I just want to say I love the Prime, mostly for the inclusion of PPL and a IDE that runs on ye olde pc (because, let be honest, a calculator keyboard, no matter how good, still sucks compared to a real one...). I am (was) an avid user of UserRPL and thought that was pretty good until now.

However I have one really big grump with PPL; why is the new INPUT() so convoluted? The syntax to have a input box with one field, one drop down, and a couple check boxes is pretty wild. Why can't couldn't the input setup be broken into parts something like:

INPUT_GROUP, a meta function which purely for layout and display of individual input sub functions.

Then the sub functions:
plain INPUT (like the original with only a title,input fields, and info about the inputs fields.
DROPDOWN, a drop down menu function, syntax similar to plain input.
CHKBOX, check box function, ditto...
etc. insert your choice here....

So you could create:
INPUT_GROUP({INPUT(A,"title","input","description")},{CHKBOX({B,1},{C,1},"label 1","label 2"})
for an input page with an input field and a set of check box.

Additionally, why not extend INPUT_GROUP to a function that could do something like the following where the initial input would be a set of checkboxs which would drive what drop down menu was presented next all with in the same INPUT_GROUP window.
INPUT_GROUP({INPUT({CHKBOX({A,1},{B,1},"label 1","label 2"}
IF A==1 and B==0 then {DROPDOWN(C,"choice1","choice 2"},
IF A==0 and B==1 then {DROPDOWN(D,"choice3","choice 4"}
ELSE {DROPDOWN(E,"choice 5","choice 6"});

Just a thought.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg? - acmeanvil - 12-17-2014 01:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)