Hp41 Card reader with Translation capability
02-21-2024, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2024 03:45 PM by AndiGer.)
RE: Hp41 Card reader with Translation capability
Look into the old forum link I gave above.
The linked picture titled "The Printed Circuit, loose (w/text)" shows the PCB - front and back.
There once was the picture by Ignazio where you now only see the "Sorry ...".
I attach the pictue I once downloaded and saved.

The contacts numbered from left to right 1 to 5 resp. you can see that the leafspring for the motor closes contact 4 to 5 when a card is inserted as the leaf spring jumps up. The same is true for contacts 2 and 3 for read/write of the card whereas contact 1 is connected to contact 2 by a photo diode that detects clipped corner or not for write protect.

It is not easy to bend the springs to do their job as desired. You can nearly only see from the side if you look between the PCB and the frame when the PCB is mounted (or pressed down by your fingers maybe will work but you can hardly see the springs then) they spring up to close the contact when a card is inserted. But you can measure the resistance being zero at the mentioned contacts with a DMM.
If you bend the wrong way the springs give permanent contact and so the motor will run always. Or for the other fork the read/write contact is always closed and the reader will not work.

Andi

EDIT: Forgot to mention the picture in the second to last post ... as it shouldn't look like
EDIT 2: If you bridge contact 4 to 5 the motor should run as you bypass the spring

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hp41 Card reader with Translation capability - AndiGer - 02-21-2024 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)