16c overlay in TheCalculatorStore
09-12-2023, 09:49 PM
RE: 16c overlay in TheCalculatorStore
(09-12-2023 06:30 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(09-12-2023 06:08 PM)Divasson Wrote:  ...we have found that there could be civil responsibility issues that could impact on us if we keep on commercializing both the HP16c and HP15c overlays...
Really? These are 40 year old calculators. Used exclusively by collectors and enthusiasts. Who of us would be vile enough to file a lawsuit if a modified calculator gives incorrect results?

No, the 16C overlay The Calculator Store made is intended for use on the 15C CE, which is brand spanking new.

I have no connection with The Calculator Store, HP, Moravia, or Royal, except as a customer, so I definitely do not in any way speak for them.

I'm not privy to the details of The Calculator Store's business or their legal analysis of this issue, but I _suspect_ the problem is that there are a few serious bugs in the undocumented and unsupported 16C mode. They may worry about liability if they sell a 16C overlay to someone with a 15C CE, or even a recent (2015 and newer) 12C, and the buyer is dissatisfied due not to any issue with the overlay, but due to the issues in the unsupported 16C mode of the calculator. (Even though The Calculator Store has AFAIK no control over that.)

Having partially reverse-engineered the original (1982) HP-16C microcode, and thus being familiar with some of its operation in areas that relate to the bugs, I have offered advice and suggestions to the appopriate firmware developer for possible ways to resolve the bugs in the unsupported 16C mode of the 15C CE. However, there has been no official announcement regarding whether or when there might be updated firmware.

Although the 15C CE is capable of being reflashed with different firmware, there is no method for a normal end user to do so, as it requires a cable that is not commercially available. I strongly _suspect_ that HP, Moravia, and Royal are not enthusiastic about offering any service to update calculator firmware for end users, _especially_ with regard to unofficial, undocumented, and unsupported features.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 16c overlay in TheCalculatorStore - brouhaha - 09-12-2023 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)