Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
07-30-2023, 05:37 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 (DM42), WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants now available!
Hello again everyone...

I have been hard at work doing more trials on a tabbed version of my C47 overlay template, and I have successfully made one from some thicker (45# - 148 g/m^3) paper, and to a lesser extent from Canon 45# photo paper (170 g/m^3).

Both versions use my satin matte front lamination sheet and a clear Avery lamination sheet on the back (mainly for durability). The 40# paper version measures about 0.36mm thick, while the Canon version is very slightly thicker - around 0.37-0.38mm.

The unfortunate part of this is that the two paper overlays described here don't come out as dark as the vinyl ones once the lamination sheet is installed on the front face. The 40# paper is noticeably lighter, while the 45# photo paper may be slightly lighter than the vinyl. A couple of photos of them appear in the link below...

The one installed on the calculator is the 40# Amazon general purpose paper. The second photo shows the two tabbed overlays next to my vinyl overlay. 40# paper on the left, 45# Canon Photo paper in the middle, and the vinyl sample on the right:

https://imgur.com/gallery/EOJrBV9

Installation was a bit challenging - and even more so on the thicker Canon photo paper version. The method I have been using involves carefully inserting the tabs on the left side of the calculator frame, and then bowing the overlay upward in the middle, and stabbing the RH tabs into position, keeping them pointed downward as best I can. I then carefully squish the tabs into the slots one at a time. It usually takes some coaxing with the back edge of an X-acto knife to massage them into place.

I am considering making these available, but my hesitation is around the apparent variability of the slots in the frame of various DM42 calculators. Mine is brand new, so presumably it was manufactured recently. I have no idea if this would work in EVERYONE's DM42.

I'm considering offering a limited number of them available as a trial run - perhaps at a discount to get some feedback from other owners.

Would anyone be interested in this?

I would probably limit it to 2 per person, and maybe make the price 2 for $5 (plus normal shipping - $1 for USA and $3 for international since this would fall below the 1oz limit). There would have to be an understanding that there are no guarantees that these will work on every calculator - so there is a risk that you may order these and not be able to use them. Nothing would stop someone from chopping off the tabs and using some adhesive (removeable!) to hold them in place. If anyone wants to give it a shot, I would likely do the Canon paper for these since they look better/darker. I will have to limit how many I offer - maybe 10 orders of 2 tabbed overlays - first come, first served.

If you want to roll the dice and give them a try, please follow the ordering instructions the first post of this thread, but please use the subject line "Tabbed Overlay Trial Order"!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
C47 Overlay Update - spiff72 - 07-27-2023, 04:16 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 (DM42), WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants now available! - spiff72 - 07-30-2023 05:37 AM
Pricing Update - WP34S increase - spiff72 - 11-15-2023, 03:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)