Most underrated programmables
02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
RE: Most underrated programmables
(02-07-2015 05:59 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  You should know as you participated in this thread, if I'm not mistaken.
I knew this and more over. Problem here not that they "had left for greener pastures". Incontestable fact that we lost this calculator. To me it is very sad Sad
[Image: df1273ca08f8t.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 08:30 AM
(03-23-2014 08:54 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  HP 17BII: Not strictly programmable, but the solver is quite sophisticated, and can be used to good effect for some programming tasks. No trig, but financial models tend to sell for less than scientifics (and it's a very nice financial, I might add).

Don't you mean the 19BII? It does everything the 17BII and 27S can do, plus it plots regression and NPV graphs (but does not provide for automatically tracing the plotted curve) and draws histograms and it has dedicated keys for entering letters like a “normal” alphanumeric machine.
02-09-2015, 08:44 AM
(02-07-2015 07:49 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  That HP haven't bought the rights & produced purpose built hardware advocates blindness or ignorance on the part of those at HP responsible.

It was offered, HP declined for a variety of reasons which I completely respect.

- Pauli
02-10-2015, 01:28 AM
(03-23-2014 08:54 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  What programmable calculators (or pocket computers) are much more useful than their current prices let on?
The Texet GR4F-x3 is cheap as chips but has the same programming language and features as the Casio 602P - which was one of Casio's best machines. Unfortunately the Texet's hardware isn't nearly as nice - both in quality and styling. But it's a cheerful machine for daily use.
02-13-2015, 04:22 PM
(02-10-2015 01:28 AM)BruceH Wrote:  The Texet GR4F-x3 is cheap as chips but has the same programming language and features as the Casio 602P - which was one of Casio's best machines. Unfortunately the Texet's hardware isn't nearly as nice - both in quality and styling. But it's a cheerful machine for daily use.

It is actually the fx-6300G (same programming model as the 4000P but not as good integration of features) in one of many the near disguises that OEMs put it in thinking nobody cares to get much the wiser. But anyone can do the research (or piggyback on someone else who has) easily thanks to the pervasiveness of the internet—a far (but not really so far) cry from the first years of graphing calculators and before when to do such research meant finding the money or the second person to buy a machine that would turn out to be functionally identical to the OEM model. At least back then OEMs would spell out exactly what they were doing. Now, though, they stoop to trying to dress their machines up as somehow unique when it’s so easy to discover that these machines are something else in disguise as if they were somehow suddenly ashamed of being uncreative. They are no more genuinely ashamed of this than they were in these early years, nor might they ever be, or else they would be releasing designs which were genuinely their own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)