Extracting a ROM file to my HP-41CL from a HEPAX SDATA file in a LIF image
11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
RE: Extracting a ROM file to my HP-41CL from a HEPAX SDATA file in a LIF image
I'm suggesting a possible temporary solution. I don't know what speed LIFILPER supports, but since 115k preceeded 230k, if you jumper the PIL-Box for 115k it might work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 10:33 AM by jsi.)
I am just preparing a beta release for the LIFUTILS 1.7.7. This release will contain the utilities rom41er and er41rom to convert uncompressed ROM files to the Eramco MLDL-OS format (LIF file type X-M41) and vice versa.

I now have a lifilper version that runs alternatively at 115200 or 230400 baud serial line speed.

Unfortunately I found that lifilper does not work at all on recent mac OS versions obviously due to changes in the tty subsystem. I did not find a solution for that within a reasonable time.

Therefore all LIFUTILS programs that use a serial interface (PIL-Box or HP-IL Rs232 Interface) will be removed from the mac OS distribution of the LIFUTILS beginning with release 1.7.7.

Almost all code of lifilper was taken from the ilper linux program of Christophe Gottheimer .

I am thankful for this program because I had a native LINUX PIL-Box communication and got the basic knowledge that I needed to develop pyILPER. But in the meantime the HP-IL core code got further development within Christoph Giesselinks ILPer software suite which were adopted to pyILPER.

Unfortunately ilper-linux got no further development and therefore there could be issues I can not solve. Therefore I will publish lifilper just once more in the LINUX Version 1.7.7.

Linux and mac OS users are strongly recommended to use pyILPER instead.

I am sorry to decide as above, but I can not satisfy an appropriate support.

Regards
Joachim
11-11-2017, 01:52 PM
(11-11-2017 10:33 AM)jsi Wrote:  Unfortunately I found that lifilper does not work at all on recent mac OS versions obviously due to changes in the tty subsystem. I did not find a solution for that within a reasonable time.
Hello Joachim,

I am very sorry to not be able to help you more, I really tried but to no avail, I simply do not have free time at the moment.
The little I have must be allocated to update the clupdate program for v5 board and to write the user manual.

I did a fast search on the web and looked at the Python source code for the serial package and saw that there is a patch (2009) that was proposed to solve some issues with the serial port on macOS but was never applied.
Python Serial Port Extension

Other interesting links that works for any terminal program that need high speed serial port on macOS:
Serial Port Baudrate over 230400 on OS X
How to set the baud rate for Macs in a terminal

Best regards,

Sylvain
11-11-2017, 04:16 PM
LIFUTILS 1.7.7 beta1 were released on Github.
Regards
Joachim
11-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Joachim (or others),

How would I go about inserting an HP-41 ascii (XM text file) into a LIF image so that I can read it from the HP-41?

Scenario: Create an ascii file on the PC with all the addresses that is going to change in the flash of an HP-41CL and add that to the LIF image. Add the accompanying ROM files. Mount the LIF image and read the ascii file and then read the ROM files successively to update the addresses indicated by the ascii file.
11-12-2017, 07:10 PM
(11-12-2017 06:14 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  How would I go about inserting an HP-41 ascii (XM text file) into a LIF image so that I can read it from the HP-41?

1. Open pyILPER and mount the desired LIF image.
2. With the virtual drive disabled, click the Tools dropdown menu and select Import.
3. In the import dialog select the ASCII file, convert from ASCII to LIF-Text, and the LIF filename. Click OK. pyILPER will create the LIF file header.
4. A new dialog box appears, click OK.

This will convert the file to LIF1, ASCII text.
11-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Is there a way to do this without invoking pyILPer or any other graphical program? What would be ideal is to have a fully scripted way of doing this without any manual input, clicking, etc :-)
11-12-2017, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 09:08 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(11-12-2017 07:26 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Is there a way to do this without invoking pyILPer or any other graphical program? What would be ideal is to have a fully scripted way of doing this without any manual input, clicking, etc :-)

Use textlif in LIFUTILS to create an ASCII file with a LIF header, then lifput to copy the file to a LIF disc image.
11-13-2017, 07:05 AM
(11-12-2017 08:23 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 07:26 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Is there a way to do this without invoking pyILPer or any other graphical program? What would be ideal is to have a fully scripted way of doing this without any manual input, clicking, etc :-)

Use textlif in LIFUTILS to create an ASCII file with a LIF header, then lifput to copy the file to a LIF disc image.

But - this seems to handle HP-71 text files (https://rawgit.com/bug400/lifutils/maste...ftext.html) - does it also work for HP-41 XM ascii files?
11-13-2017, 08:41 AM
(11-13-2017 07:05 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  But - this seems to handle HP-71 text files (https://rawgit.com/bug400/lifutils/maste...ftext.html) - does it also work for HP-41 XM ascii files?
Yes it is the LIF1 format, the same format the HP-41 X-Functions module uses for text files.

The "scripting way" is:
Code:

cat (or type on windows) romlist.txt | txtlif ROMLIST | lifput romdisk.dat
Regards
Joachim
11-13-2017, 08:50 AM
(11-13-2017 07:05 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  does it also work for HP-41 XM ascii files?

Yes, see here for some example.
11-13-2017, 09:05 AM
(11-13-2017 08:50 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(11-13-2017 07:05 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  does it also work for HP-41 XM ascii files?

Yes, see here for some example.

Neat. Thanks for the link.
11-15-2017, 06:49 PM
I now have a working Ruby program that creates a LIF image with all roms from a folder and an XM ascii file (or two if it is so big it must be split) that lists all the roms that the user wants to update structured in blocks of 8. I will now create the FOCAL program that will parse the XM ascii file and update the HP-41CL flash accordingly.

The aim is to make the usage of the system as simple as easy. As it is now, you can simply drop the roms in the "roms" folder - but with all the roms ypu want updated prefixed with the three first location numbers. Example: The ISENE.ROM should go to the location "0C9", therefore you rename the rom to 0C9ISENE.ROM and drop it into the folder called "roms". You run the program and you get a LIF imge called cl_update.lif.

The idea is that the user then mounts this LIF image via pyILPer and then run a FOCAL program (yet to be made) on the HP-41CL and go for dinner.
11-16-2017, 12:27 PM
And I now have the FOCAL part done. The only problem now is the transfer of the CL-specific images (such as the image database etc.) since they use bits that are lost when converting the ROMS to HEPAX SDATA files (or the Eramco equivalent) for transfer via LIF.

As discussed here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9449-page-2.html
11-16-2017, 03:34 PM
And here's the github repo for those who are interested in looking at the code: https://github.com/isene/hp-41cl_update
11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Please find attached a Q&D romlif.c program that converts an uncompressed rom image to a LIF file.

Put rom image FLDB.ROM into the LIF image file romtest.dat:
Code:

cat FLDB.ROM |./romlif LFDB | lifput romtest.dat
Build it with
Code:

gcc -o romlif romlif.c (Linux only)

Attached File(s)
.zip  romlif.zip (Size: 3.3 KB / Downloads: 3)
11-16-2017, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 05:24 PM by Geir Isene.)
Awesome! This should be included in the standard LIFUTILS. You should submit this to Joachim.

All we need now is an MCODE program that can read such a file from a LIF file into the HP-41CL RAM.
11-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Not necessary :-)
Regards
Joachim
11-16-2017, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 06:00 PM by Geir Isene.)
(11-16-2017 05:35 PM)jsi Wrote:  Not necessary :-)
Regards
Joachim

Hmm?

Coming soon to a LIFUTILS near me?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)