Voyager Series: Which is better, USA or Brazil?
09-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Voyager Series: Which is better, USA or Brazil?
Hi all,
I'm curious to know people's thoughts, (and facts if any exist?), regarding which design is better made, and\or, more sought after... the USA (####A serial) , or the Brazil (####B serial) versions?

If I understand correctly, the early batches of all Voyagers were made in both the USA and Brazil... am I correct here? Does anyone know of any physical differences, (in build quality), between the two locations?
The later models came out of Malaysia and Singapore, then ultimately, China... and I hear that the quality of the later is so-so at best.

Also, does anyone know if either of the two are more difficult to locate, or more sought after? I.E., if you had two of each Voyager model sitting in front of you, one from USA and the other Brazil, which would you choose, and why?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
RE: Voyager Series: Which is better, USA or Brazil?
In my experience, and I have Brazil 15c, 41cv, 33c, 28s, etc, there's no difference in use or quality.

In mine specimens, keys have the traditional HP quality.

I believe manufacturer in Brazil followed HP specifications very well.

I don't know if there is one manufacturer country more sought, but if there is one, maybe its because of rarity in one specific country, e.g. I live in Brazil, so I have lots of MIB, but in other continents a MIB must be more difficult to find.

I do observe differences between models, as HP48g and gx, although have very nice keys, don't have the Supreme quality of the 48s and sx. There is a slight difference between 48g Singapore and Indonesia keys, too.

Of course nowadays everything is different, as none HP have the quality of the past.

Cheers

JL
09-14-2017, 07:13 PM
(09-14-2017 12:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I believe manufacturer in Brazil followed HP specifications very well.

Mainly because it was more like "Assembled in Brazil" rather than "Made in Brazil".
09-14-2017, 08:12 PM
(09-14-2017 07:13 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(09-14-2017 12:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I believe manufacturer in Brazil followed HP specifications very well.

Mainly because it was more like "Assembled in Brazil" rather than "Made in Brazil".

Sure, Gerson, sure,

But I remember the first calculator that I bought, a TI SR-40 LCD, in 1981, was assembled, too, in Manaus, and its keys started to fail in one an a half year after...I have it untill now , to remember that days...Im not sure if MIA TI suffered that problem...I guess not.

Um forte abraço do Rio!
09-15-2017, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 12:29 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(09-14-2017 08:12 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(09-14-2017 07:13 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Mainly because it was more like "Assembled in Brazil" rather than "Made in Brazil".

Sure, Gerson, sure,

But I remember the first calculator that I bought, a TI SR-40 LCD, in 1981, was assembled, too, in Manaus, and its keys started to fail in one an a half year after...I have it untill now , to remember that days...Im not sure if MIA TI suffered that problem...I guess not.

Um forte abraço do Rio!

Olá, J. Louis!

I was somewhat disappointed the first time I opened my 2343B 15C and read "Made in USA" on the printed circuit board. I expected we could be able to produce at least the board :-)
Of course we could! But they must've had their reasons. Anyway, being assembled here made them less expensive for us, even if only a little bit.

Um grande abraço de Curitiba!

Gerson.
09-17-2017, 05:30 AM
I have an HP 11c from USA and Brazil, I like the brazilian.

Best Regards
09-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks Carlos,
. What is it about the Brazil model do you prefer over the US one?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)