Woodstock Low Power
10-15-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: Woodstock Low Power
Fantastic news!!! That will give me something to use this for :-)

Thanks for the update!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2017, 10:27 PM
This board is perfectly prepared for the "LP" circuit! I hope you also have the keyboard laying around. It doesn't matter which one, the "LP" will match to any of them. Smile

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
10-16-2017, 01:15 AM
Bernhard,

Many of us a salivating to get our hands on the LP board. Do you have a price in mind already? Regardless, put me down for one.

Time to hit eBay for a suitable recipient!

Mark Hardman
[Three resurrected Woodstocks and counting]

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
10-16-2017, 06:46 AM
(10-16-2017 01:15 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  ... Do you have a price in mind already? ...

Yes, see my first post. If you add update kit and overlays it wlll be + 30,- Euro. You never know, whether there is a new idea for filling the flash memory. For the GPS Module you have to add 50,- Euro. That is the cost of the GPS module and 3.3V step up converter in germany. You can order the MTK3339 GPS module in US directly from adafruit.com and the step up converter U1V11F3 from pololu.com for 29,95$ + 4,95$ + shipping.

The "LP" circuit will always support GPS, there is no special version anymore. You just have to add the GPS module. Instructions are given in the upcoming "LP manual".

Bernhard

10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Final Spurt!

No significant hardware problem with the "LP" found yet. Everything is working fine. The "LP" software is going forward. Since today saving programs and registers in external Flash is working with HP-25. And tomorrow I will test also HP-29/34/67. No problems until now. I merged the Woodstock and Classic emulators into one piece of code today. Now it is possible to switch between these models. Only HP-67 needs more work.

At the moment, when you switch between calculators, the chosen calculator will be started as if switched on showing 0.00. But I will try to give every programmable calculator its own workspace. If you switch to another calculator, the previous programs and registers and continuous memory should be preserved. If you switch back you will find the calculator in the state where you left it. I hope this will work.

I think the software will get in the release state end of next week.

Bernhard

10-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Would it make sense to share the registers between devices rather than each having its own set?

Pauli
10-18-2017, 07:44 AM
(10-17-2017 11:23 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Would it make sense to share the registers between devices rather than each having its own set?

Pauli

That could make a lot of sense. One could start a calculation with one calculator, and then switch to another if other functions are required.
10-18-2017, 05:20 PM
(10-18-2017 07:44 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 11:23 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Would it make sense to share the registers between devices rather than each having its own set?

Pauli

That could make a lot of sense. One could start a calculation with one calculator, and then switch to another if other functions are required.

As all calculators share the same 56 byte BCD format, the registers would be interchangeable. I will try to keep the registers when switching between the calculators.

Of course the programs and the additional 10 register sets per calculator will still be stored in separate workspaces.

Bernhard

10-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Some intermediate news.

The second prototype is working and is built into an HP-27 calculator. Here some pictures.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ROU5uLTNtdnViYzg] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ReEJyRF9ZWFVYU2M]

As you can see the board fits exactly below the display and no mm is left, and the case can be closed without problems.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RVlJNZVAwQW9tT1E] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RblRobkxGOXVDYWM] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RNUxRU2hGekswV0U]

On the left the circuit with the 512k flash, PIC processor, two display drivers. Thanks to the drivers the display is now much brighter than shown in the HHC2017 prototype. In the new design the LED drivers are placed on the top and the RTC is mounted on the bottom side. The RTC chip is 1 mm too high and would not allow to be placed on the assembly side.

This image on the right shows the additional effort to add the GPS module. It is working fine with the LP circuit. Six wires have to be connected to the keyboard anyway, only two additional for the GPS needed, but also the 3,3V supply has to be added.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RREVtTm0wTkxLbW8]

My working prototype soldered to an HP-21 board, currently running the HP-25 firmware. Software work is going on. Fighting with the compiler, which shows unspecific internal errors and obviously doesn't like the LP circuit.

Bernhard

10-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Thank you Bernhard for the great pictures and update on open heart procedure to bring this calculator back to life!!

Dave
10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Excellent news! Thanks for the progress report.
10-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the update, I have a non-working HP 25 standing by for an upgrade when it becomes available. Will one be able to update the firmware without disassembling the calculator?

Try CC41!
10-31-2017, 07:09 PM
(10-31-2017 04:21 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Thanks for the update, I have a non-working HP 25 standing by for an upgrade when it becomes available. Will one be able to update the firmware without disassembling the calculator?

If you attach a 3-pin connector to the housing you can update the firmware without disassembling.

You also can use it to connect to PC for uploading downloading programs and remote control.

Bernhard

10-31-2017, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 07:57 PM by PANAMATIK.)
The "Woodstock Low Power" manual is ready to download.

(added: as english is not my native language, lector notes will be appreciated)

Bernhard

10-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Hello Bernhard

I can't wait to upgrade all my woodstocks.
21 will grow up to a 34E
22 needs a new ACT, because memory is dead
25 will be a 25E

Thank you for your great work.

Greetings from Basel
11-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Absolutely brilliant!

Pauli
11-01-2017, 10:05 AM
(10-31-2017 10:32 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Some intermediate news.

The second prototype is working and is built into an HP-27 calculator. Here some pictures.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ROU5uLTNtdnViYzg] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ReEJyRF9ZWFVYU2M]

As you can see the board fits exactly below the display and no mm is left, and the case can be closed without problems.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RVlJNZVAwQW9tT1E] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RblRobkxGOXVDYWM] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RNUxRU2hGekswV0U]

Bernhard
OK, convinced, I want one too Smile
You can put me on your order list.
11-01-2017, 06:28 PM
(10-31-2017 07:10 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The "Woodstock Low Power" manual is ready to download.

(added: as english is not my native language, lector notes will be appreciated)

Bernhard

What a nice bedtime reading to shorten waiting time for the real product :-). One HP-25 and one HP-29C are waiting. Thanks for the great work.

Werner
11-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Relieved!

For the first time I have a full LP version with all features and GPS running stable. Smile

Calulators included HP21/22/25/27/29/31/32/33/34/37/38/35/45/70/80/67. HP-55 will follow.

HP-25/29/33/34/67 have full IR printer capabilities, and also showing mnemonics in the LED display.

Each programmable has 110 programs, HP-25 has separate additional 55 application programs from the applications manual.

HP-25/29 can concatenate programs to build larger programs with up to 5000/10000 program steps.

The main difference compared to my last posts is that I now no longer write "will have...", but "have...", when describing the features.

I will start production of the boards at the manufacturer this week.

Bernhard

11-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Hello Bernhard,
you are right now ready for the christmas business...
For a next Release, is it possible by short pressing clx to clear the last digit and by long pressing clx (1 sec) clearing the x-register?

Hans-Peter

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)