Table capability?
03-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Table capability?
Given the 2 line capability of the WP 34S for displaying complex numbers, is there the possibility that a rudimentary table capacity could be developed that could display results of some function of interest (where the user could choose step size, and scroll up and down)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 05:01 PM
RE: Table capability?
(03-11-2015 04:56 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Given the 2 line capability of the WP 34S for displaying complex numbers, is there the possibility that a rudimentary table capacity could be developed that could display results of some function of interest (where the user could choose step size, and scroll up and down)?
The WP-34S already has this capability built-in with the "SHOW" feature. The step size is one but you can go directly to any lettered or numbered register by pressing that register's letter or number on the keyboard, so what doesn't it do that you would want it to do?
03-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Hi Barry,

Let's say I've put something simple like x^2 * sin(x) into say, 'F0'. How do I get "show" to increment this function up or down by some desired amount, and easily change step size and if I'm scrolling up or down by my given increment? As I understand it, "show" simply scrolls up or down through the stack and memory registers. I want to take advantage of the 2 line ability that the 34S has (as demonstrated by it's display of complex numbers).

I already wrote programs to increment up and down, 1 for steps of 1, another for steps of .1.

What would be real handy would be for the 2 line display to be capable of showing the current, and last increment f(x) value simultaneously to make it easier to find a point of interest on the function being examined. Do you know how to accomplish this?

As an addendum, my programs allow me to use x<>y to find "x" value for the f(x) values being displayed. I wonder if this would be doable on the table that I'm asking about?
03-12-2015, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 01:10 AM by BarryMead.)
(03-11-2015 06:23 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Hi Barry,

Let's say I've put something simple like x^2 * sin(x) into say, 'F0'. How do I get "show" to increment this function up or down by some desired amount, and easily change step size and if I'm scrolling up or down by my given increment? As I understand it, "show" simply scrolls up or down through the stack and memory registers. I want to take advantage of the 2 line ability that the 34S has (as demonstrated by it's display of complex numbers).

I already wrote programs to increment up and down, 1 for steps of 1, another for steps of .1.

What would be real handy would be for the 2 line display to be capable of showing the current, and last increment f(x) value simultaneously to make it easier to find a point of interest on the function being examined. Do you know how to accomplish this?

As an addendum, my programs allow me to use x<>y to find "x" value for the f(x) values being displayed. I wonder if this would be doable on the table that I'm asking about?
You can easily write programs to advance a function by any increment you choose, each time you press the R/S (Run/Stop) key. If you want to get really fancy, you can write programs that READ the keys on the keyboard, and do special things based on these key codes. If you can imagine it, it can be written. Of course you can always output the results of interest into memory registers with indirect addressing and then use the "SHOW" button to review the results as a "TABLE". I am not sure I understand what feature or function you are asking the calculator to do that it doesn't do already?
03-12-2015, 02:46 AM
Already wrote and use programs that increment up and down with presses of r/s using increments of 1,.1,.01. They work fine. This method only shows the user 1 result at a time.

What I was after was the ability to display 2 results at a time by taking advantage of the 2 line capability of the WP 34S. Each new r/s result appearing on the main bottom line, bumping previous result up to the top line (where the imaginary part of a complex number is displayed).
03-12-2015, 05:44 AM
(03-12-2015 02:46 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  Already wrote and use programs that increment up and down with presses of r/s using increments of 1,.1,.01. They work fine. This method only shows the user 1 result at a time.

What I was after was the ability to display 2 results at a time by taking advantage of the 2 line capability of the WP 34S. Each new r/s result appearing on the main bottom line, bumping previous result up to the top line (where the imaginary part of a complex number is displayed).

Just write your programs so that the two results you want to display appear in the X and Y registers, and turn on the "YDON" mode. Then each R/S key press will display two results instead of one.
03-12-2015, 07:31 AM
(03-12-2015 01:08 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  If you want to get really fancy, you can write programs that READ the keys on the keyboard, and do special things based on these key codes. If you can imagine it, it can be written.

My matrix editor MED from the library is an example for this technique. Here is the link:

https://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEA...edit.wp34s

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)