HP Forums
Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII (/thread-9634.html)

Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII - Joe Horn - 12-05-2017 01:17 AM

Persuing photos of the HP 39gII, there seem to be two different versions of the fraction / DMS key:

[Image: 39gii-a.jpg] [Image: 39gii-b.jpg]

Has this been noted on the forum before? Do you own both versions? If not... YOU MUST. Big Grin

RE: Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII - rprosperi - 12-05-2017 02:12 AM

There are a lot of machines that I go to silly and unrealistic ends to acquire the various versions of, for the collection.

HP-39gII - Pass.

Anyhow, it's probably just that one of them was a prototype, not available to the public, and therefor not generally acquirable in the market. I hope.

RE: Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII - jebem - 12-05-2017 07:59 AM

(12-05-2017 01:17 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Persuing photos of the HP 39gII, there seem to be two different versions of the fraction / DMS key:

My two HP 39gII units have this [Image: 39gii-a.jpg] DMS key symbol. They both have 2012 serial numbers (CNA2wwnnnnn).
The current HP 39gII virtual calculator (Version 2013 11 10 Rev. 19148 (c) 2012 HP) also shows the same [Image: 39gii-a.jpg] DMS key as found on my physical calculators.

(12-05-2017 01:17 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Has this been noted on the forum before?

Nice find. This [Image: 39gii-b.jpg] DMS key is shown on the officially published HP 39gII datasheet dated as October, 2011, so it was probably the initial key layout.

Edit:

A quick search on eBay reveals two interesting things concerning the units that I could found so far:

1.- All the units have the same serial number prefix: CNA221 meaning that all of them were assembled in 2012 week 21 if I'm not wrong.

2.- All the units shows this [Image: 39gii-a.jpg] DMS key symbol.
There is one exception where it shows the older [Image: 39gii-b.jpg] label, but the picture is not taken from the actual calculator. Obviously it was copied from the HP initial image released to the media and distributors.

RE: Two versions of [a b/c] [° ' "] key on HP 39gII - Guenter Schink - 12-05-2017 01:53 PM

Bob may be right,
I've got a prototype at our HHC at San Diego. This has the right key. Another one that I bought later, why?, has the left one.

Günter