HP Forums
Android Ecosystem - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Android Ecosystem (/thread-9629.html)

Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-04-2017 09:22 AM

Hp Prime Google Playstore offerings - HP Prime Free and HP Prime Pro

Primary forks: Android phone, Android tablet, Chromebook with Google Playstore added

Possible secondary fork: New Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 with Amazon Appstore or using with Google Playstore added

Only thing missing in primary forks is Chromebook's Google Playstore is HP Prime Pro can not access the HP Prime Connectivity Kit. However, HP Prime programs and apps can be added directly or using copy and paste from a Chromebook's text editor's app. Chromebook's Google Playstore HP Prime Free works as expected.

New Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 with Amazon's Appstore do not have a listing for HP Prime Free or Pro.

Work around 1: Download a file apk from Amazon's Appstore, set tablet for development, have tablet's browser download the Free apk file from a site containing the HP Prime Free apk. Install the downloaded Free's apk using the downloaded Amazon's Appstore file system app. The HP Prime Free works as expected.

Work around 2: XDA forums give the Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 a method to add the Google Playstore without jailbreaking. Then both Free and Pro can be downloaded and installed using the Google Playstore. The HP Prime Connectivity Kit works with the Pro version.

To me Chromebook with Google adding its Google Playstore to new Chromebook models plus some older models is a perfect market for HP and it seems that it would not take much to make the layered Android - Chromebook wifi work for the Connectivity Kit.

The new Fire HD 8 and HD 10 tablets would be another large market that could be reached by having them add the Free and Pro to Amazon's Appstore. Work around 1 and 2 show that they seem to work as expected on the device. I would not expect HP to support work around 1 and 2.

RE: Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-05-2017 01:56 PM

On my Chromebook Google Playstore there is a category, Apps for your Chromebook. Could HP in their HP Prime Android Beta program include the Chromebook's Google Playstore. It seems that this category, Apps for the Chromebook, would be a very logical fit for the HP Prime Free and Pro app.

The Free and Pro are currently listed in the Chromebook's Android Google Playstore and seem to work well but would benefit from more testing. The HP Prime Pro is only missing the android-chrome wifi layer for HP Connectivity and the current Beta could address that issue.

The Amazon Appstore has the Live App Testing link. Since my test in the OP show they work fine on the new Fire HD Tablets, the android HP Prime Beta could be tested at the Amazon Appstore and final version marketed here.

I have sent in my name to be added to the android HP Prime Beta testers. I am currently using my Samsung 10.1 2014 Tablet as one of my HP Prime Pro devices.

Getting the word out about the power and benefits of the HP Prime App and calculator could benefit from the Google Chromebook and Amazon HD Fire large markets. Since a major share of these markets are students and the HP Prime is great calculator for professionals and students. These students will become the professionals and educated, technology savy citizens of tomorrow.

RE: Android Ecosystem - AlexFekken - 12-06-2017 01:34 AM

(12-05-2017 01:56 PM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  The Free and Pro are currently listed in the Chromebook's Android Google Playstore and seem to work well but would benefit from more testing. The HP Prime Pro is only missing the android-chrome wifi layer for HP Connectivity and the current Beta could address that issue.
Shoudn't Google fix that?

I got a new generation Chromebook earlier this year hoping that Google would make good on its promise for full Android support. It's a very nice device so I don't have any regrets but the fact that basic stuff like SD card access for Android apps still isn't available is beginning to piss me off. Looks like this issue belongs in the same category.

RE: Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-08-2017 09:00 AM

(12-06-2017 01:34 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 01:56 PM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  The Free and Pro are currently listed in the Chromebook's Android Google Playstore and seem to work well but would benefit from more testing. The HP Prime Pro is only missing the android-chrome wifi layer for HP Connectivity and the current Beta could address that issue.
Shoudn't Google fix that?

Not sure? Android App ES File Explorer using the Network option find my Windows Pro 3 but HP Prime Pro on the Chromebook cannot find HP Connectivity running on the Windows Pro 3. Looks to me like Android app can fix it.

Looks like information about Android network under Chromebook is here.

(12-06-2017 01:34 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  I got a new generation Chromebook earlier this year hoping that Google would make good on its promise for full Android support. It's a very nice device so I don't have any regrets but the fact that basic stuff like SD card access for Android apps still isn't available is beginning to piss me off. Looks like this issue belongs in the same category.

On Chromebook sd card front, Android app Android App ES File Explorer cannot see the sd card, where native Chromebook's File app can. My Chromebook is running Android 7.1.1, so we would hope for SD card support. Android Device Storeage does show my 64 GB SD card. Currently I only have music on the SD card but would like to put Android apps, such as HP Prime Free or Pro, as well.

RE: Android Ecosystem - AlexFekken - 12-09-2017 04:54 AM

(12-08-2017 09:00 AM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  Not sure?

I am not 100% sure either. But my argument would be that "Android support on Chromebooks" should imply that app developers need not know or care whether their app will run on "regular Android" or in a "Chromebook Android" sandbox; i.e. they should not have to target multiple platforms.

RE: Android Ecosystem - Tim Wessman - 12-09-2017 05:50 AM

The specific issue here is that we use network broadcast packets for detection and connection to the connkit. Android on chrome specifically blocks network broadcast packets except using when you use the android api (zeroconf/bonjour). It isn't just a simple "change a few functions" but rather "rewrite completely for all platforms" type of change to get it going.

RE: Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-09-2017 11:13 AM

(12-09-2017 05:50 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The specific issue here is that we use network broadcast packets for detection and connection to the connkit. Android on chrome specifically blocks network broadcast packets except using when you use the android api (zeroconf/bonjour). It isn't just a simple "change a few functions" but rather "rewrite completely for all platforms" type of change to get it going.

Thanks Tim for the update. The good news. In my testing the Free and Pro seem to work well on the Chromebook Android (beta). Google lets schools manage Android apps on Chrome (beta) and this opens up a very large market for the Android HP Prime Free and Pro. Google school Chromebook's management system lets student's Chromebook have a preinstalled HP Prime Free or Pro app or lets student access a restricted Google Play store where the Free and Pro would be approved apps. Not sure how the cost of Pro would be handled?

According to NY Times in 2016 Google shipped 8 million devices to schools with 58% of the devices shipped to elementary and secondary schools being Chromebooks.

A work around for lack of HP Connectivity for the Chromebook's HP Prime Pro. By using the Chromebook's "Text app" from the Chrome Web Store and copy and paste on HP Prime Pro we can create complex program library functions or a Library Application app from scratch. Using Google Drive, other cloud based systems, or flash drives we can transfer txt files of program files or Library Application App between OSs. Then using copy and paste to the HP Prime Pro we can install the library functions or a Library Application app. I used this technique to in install on my Chromebook's library functions and Library Application apps that I wrote using Notepad++ on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 . See the pdf in the zip file in the quick download link on my books product's page to see the specific steps for using the text alternate method to create HP Prime library functions and Library Application apps.

For lack of HP Connectivity's Exam mode function the teacher gives a two part test. First part no HP Prime. Second part use HP Prime but partial credit for wrong answers only if work shown.

I know rewrite for all platforms would be complex but for now the text work around for Pro programs and apps on the Chromebook seems like a logical way to go until a rewrite is considered or done.

RE: Android Ecosystem - AlexFekken - 12-10-2017 02:07 AM

Thanks for clarifying Tim.

RE: Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-11-2017 02:16 AM

Tim, would support for HP Prime Free and Pro for Amazon new Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 with Amazon's Appstore be possible? In my OP l added Google Playstore to add my copy of Android HP Prime Pro to my new 10 in Fire HD. The non-beta HP Prime Connectivity Kit on my Windows 10 Asus Tab found it and I was able to add all my program files and application library apps to the fire's HP Prime Pro.

The new fire models support Alexa and Amazon Prime ecosystem of movies, music, and ebooks. Alexa on a portable device with a screen is a hugh plus and looks like no reason for HP Prime Free and Pro not to be available through Amazon's Appstore.

RE: Android Ecosystem - Mark Hardman - 12-11-2017 03:03 AM

(12-11-2017 02:16 AM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  Tim, would support for HP Prime Free and Pro for Amazon new Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 with Amazon's Appstore be possible?

I have Prime Pro running on my Fire HD 8. (It's the only reason I own the thing.) All you need to do is install the Google Play Store. I followed this video and had Prime Pro installed within 15 minutes of receiving the tablet:

Amazon Fire Tablet - How to install the Google Play Store - Fire HD 8, Fire 7, etc

RE: Android Ecosystem - lschroeder1947 - 12-11-2017 10:07 AM

(12-11-2017 03:03 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 02:16 AM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  Tim, would support for HP Prime Free and Pro for Amazon new Fire Tablets HD 8 and HD 10 with Amazon's Appstore be possible?

I have Prime Pro running on my Fire HD 8. (It's the only reason I own the thing.) All you need to do is install the Google Play Store. I followed this video and had Prime Pro installed within 15 minutes of receiving the tablet:

Amaznoton Fire Tablet - How to install the Google Play Store - Fire HD 8, Fire 7, etc

Glad to see someone else installing the HP Prime on the Fire HD device. See the limited time offer at amazon for Fire 7, Fire HD 8, and Fire HD 10. "The deal is a way to push inventory and spread Amazon’s brand. There is a very good chance Amazon loses money on the deals", quote from article on initial release sale prices, with current price on new Fire 7 being lower than initial sale price.

Edit December 21, 2017 - Limited prices have changed. No longer lower than initial sale price. Will leave link in but be aware link prices vary and may not be lowest price offered in past.

Comments at the youtube show why it would be easier and less error prone for users if HP put HP Prime Free and Pro at Amazon's webstore. Over 13,000 reviews at Amazon site on Fire 7 tablets and over 21,000 on Fire HD 8. Tim, is there any problems beside support issues with adding it to Amazon's webstore?

Edit December 21, 2017 - Tim answered this elsewhere - numbers now 14,667 reviews for Fire 7 and 22,984 reviews for Fire HD 8

(12-20-2017 01:33 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  It mainly has to do with the time to test and evaluate things. We don't just "assume" that something will work, so we'd have to get specific devices (or a selection from a family of devices) and run through testing to make ourselves confident that it runs equivalently.

Then the math works down to: is the cost of testing this going to give a large enough return or potential return that we'd use our limited time doing this instead of <something_else>?

That is something they are constantly looking at and evaluating. I will pass on your request and maybe at some future point that equation will be favorable.