HP Forums
Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? (/thread-9561.html)

Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - Alejandro Paz(Germany) - 11-23-2017 09:00 AM

Have someone tried any inroads into increasing the resolution of any of these machines ? Any ideas if the amount of code to change is that large and/or that complicated, I mean there are 128..256 kBytes of mixed code, enough for a lifetime of searching, I think Smile.

RE: Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - rprosperi - 11-23-2017 01:56 PM

(11-23-2017 09:00 AM)Alejandro Paz(Germany) Wrote:  Have someone tried any inroads into increasing the resolution of any of these machines ? Any ideas if the amount of code to change is that large and/or that complicated, I mean there are 128..256 kBytes of mixed code, enough for a lifetime of searching, I think Smile.

I think the most cost-effective (and time-effective) answer would be to simply get a 50g. Same RPL, higher-res LCD.

RE: Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - Alejandro Paz(Germany) - 11-23-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:I think the most cost-effective (and time-effective) answer would be to simply get a 50g. Same RPL, higher-res LCD.

I'm not talking about the real HW, my target would be say EMU48 or my own re-implementation of the Saturn chipset with a bigger display: I ask specifically about the SW running on the Machine. When the target is EMU48 (or any other emulator) it is a matter of using a bigger bitmap to display on the PC screen. Sorry for the possible confusion.

RE: Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - cyrille de brébisson - 11-24-2017 06:07 AM

Hello,

Unfortunately, most of the 28/48 SW is unable to cope with a different resoltution screen.
Prety much all the UI code is very, very resolution dependent.
The 50G series is a little bit more tolerant of height resolution change and might mostly work with a higher screen, but this is as far as you can go.

Cyrille

RE: Increasing the resolution of the screen on the HP28 or HP48. Possible ? - Alejandro Paz(Germany) - 11-24-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:Unfortunately, most of the 28/48 SW is unable to cope with a different resolution screen.
Pretty much all the UI code is very, very resolution dependent.

That, I feared. Sad

Thanks for the answer.