HP Forums
RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs (/thread-9461.html)

Pages: 1 2

RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-08-2017 10:04 PM

Hi, I had a couple of HP39gs that I was not using just because I'm not used to the algebraic system and decided to give it another chance in life so I wrote an "RPN" aplet in SysRPL. The application runs quick (no noticeable lag) that was one of my bigger concerns.

It shows the 4 stack registers plus LASTx, it has all the basic operations plus several scientific ones. The format of the numbers displayed can be customized; it supports all the memory locations from A through Z. The memory is preserved when the calculator is turned off or you exit the application.

I'd like to share it with other members, but my question is, what would be the right place to post it? The applet weights about 8KB.

I originally had issues with my connectivity software running on Win10 but I solved that, I don’t know if this is a common problem but I mention it just in case someone is interested in testing this aplet but is having difficulties to load it in his/her calculator.

I tested this aplet with an HP39gs, I assume it should work on the 40gs but I’m not 100% certain.

I have included some screen-shots in the attachment down below.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Andres[attachment=5306]

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - d b - 11-09-2017 01:53 AM

impressive

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - rprosperi - 11-09-2017 02:48 AM

(11-08-2017 10:04 PM)acapde Wrote:  I'd like to share it with other members, but my question is, what would be the right place to post it? The applet weights about 8KB.

I originally had issues with my connectivity software running on Win10 but I solved that, I don’t know if this is a common problem but I mention it just in case someone is interested in testing this aplet but is having difficulties to load it in his/her calculator.

The best place to share 39/40 applets is to submit them to http://www.hpcalc.org/ - Eric's site includes the 39/40 series machines. There is not much there for these machines (I don't think too many applets were distributed in general), but this is where most folks would likely look for it.

You can also check here as another place to share your applet:

http://www.hphomeview.com/index.htm

I'd also say it would be useful to submit something here (and maybe there as well) about how to get the connectivity s/w running on Win-10. The question has come up from time to time here anyhow so it will be useful, but in any case it will be helpful to let folks check out you RPN app.

At last, something interesting to try on a 39GS - looks interesting.

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 03:09 AM

Thank you Bob for your inputs, I'll try to post the aplet on those two sites that you've mentioned and I'll also write an easy step-by-step instruction about running the connectivity software on Win 10.

Best regards.

Andres.-

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - Csaba Tizedes - 11-09-2017 07:20 AM

Hi, this is really interesting. My 39gs arrived just now from China in perfect condition below 15 bucks with shipping. I will try your Aplet.

(11-08-2017 10:04 PM)acapde Wrote:  I wrote an "RPN" aplet in SysRPL.
I guess you learned this from something docs, please share it - at least the titles and authors.

STO without alpha - yes, you did that what thousand clever engineer and programmer dont before at TI and HP. If I can learn ASM or SysRPL or something to do system patches, this will be the first what I will write. If you have only one character variable names and the user push STO, the alpha automatically must(!) be SET.

One improvement if this is not implemented yet: white background functions: if you press SHIFT (to do inverse) the label automatically change to inverse function. In this case the user can see the right function.

Thanks,
Csaba

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 02:13 PM

Hi,

It seems that http://www.hphomeview.com/index.htm is not being maintained any more and I'm having problems to login to http://www.hpcalc.org/, I'm constantly getting that I have the wrong password which is not the case... I'll keep trying.

Since this is such a tiny file I hope I'm not breaking any rule if I attach it to this message in the meantime.

Best.

Andres.-
[attachment=5310]
[attachment=5309]

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 02:39 PM

(11-09-2017 07:20 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  Hi, this is really interesting. My 39gs arrived just now from China in perfect condition below 15 bucks with shipping. I will try your Aplet.

(11-08-2017 10:04 PM)acapde Wrote:  I wrote an "RPN" aplet in SysRPL.
I guess you learned this from something docs, please share it - at least the titles and authors.

One improvement if this is not implemented yet: white background functions: if you press SHIFT (to do inverse) the label automatically change to inverse function. In this case the user can see the right function.

Thanks,
Csaba

Hi Csaba,

I read several docs and books that I found, the ones that come to mind right now are: "An Introduction to HP 48 System RPL and Assembly Language Programming" by James Donnelly, "Sys-RPL lessons" a tutorial by Michaël De Coninck and Colin Croft, "Programming in System RPL" by Eduardo M Kalinowski and Carsten Dominik, etc., etc.
There is much more information about the HP48/49 and there are a lot of similarities with the HP39/40gs, however, when you hit "one of the differences" then a lot of trial-n-error is required. I wish there was more/better documentation specifically for the 39/40.

The "interactive menu" is not implemented yet, that was my first idea but I got lazy I guess, I'll try to do it next, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Regards.

Andres

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - rprosperi - 11-09-2017 04:15 PM

Another good resource for 39/40 Applet development is this doc, by Tim Wessman:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details/4909

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 04:42 PM

(11-09-2017 04:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Another good resource for 39/40 Applet development is this doc, by Tim Wessman:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details/4909

You're right, very good resource, I had missed this one. I'll read it carefully to be able to apply some of the information... I already found some useful tips just giving this a quick glance Smile

Best regards.

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - Tim Wessman - 11-09-2017 05:12 PM

(11-09-2017 04:42 PM)acapde Wrote:  You're right, very good resource, I had missed this one. I'll read it carefully to be able to apply some of the information... I already found some useful tips just giving this a quick glance Smile

Well that brings back some memories. Porbably any way. Smile

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 05:39 PM

(11-09-2017 05:12 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 04:42 PM)acapde Wrote:  You're right, very good resource, I had missed this one. I'll read it carefully to be able to apply some of the information... I already found some useful tips just giving this a quick glance Smile

Well that brings back some memories. Porbably any way. Smile

Time goes by too fast... if the time stamp is correct you posted that doc in Nov/2001, a mere 16 years and one day ago!!!

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - Eric Rechlin - 11-09-2017 07:16 PM

(11-09-2017 02:13 PM)acapde Wrote:  I'm having problems to login to http://www.hpcalc.org/, I'm constantly getting that I have the wrong password which is not the case... I'll keep trying.

You don't need a login to contribute software, only to vote or write comments or access some hidden parts of the site (like downloading historic versions of programs).

You can contribute here: http://www.hpcalc.org/contribute.php

If you are having problems logging in, let me know your email address and I'll look into it. You may just need to reset your password.

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-09-2017 08:09 PM

(11-09-2017 07:16 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 02:13 PM)acapde Wrote:  I'm having problems to login to http://www.hpcalc.org/, I'm constantly getting that I have the wrong password which is not the case... I'll keep trying.

You don't need a login to contribute software, only to vote or write comments or access some hidden parts of the site (like downloading historic versions of programs).

You can contribute here: http://www.hpcalc.org/contribute.php

If you are having problems logging in, let me know your email address and I'll look into it. You may just need to reset your password.

Thank you Eric, the link to contribute is exactly what I needed, I'll upload it soon.

Regarding my login issue, I did reset the password once with no avail, my email is acapde@hotmail.com.

Best regards.

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - JimP - 11-11-2017 11:19 PM

Have you had the chance to try this/tweak it so it could be used on an HP 39gII?

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-12-2017 12:42 AM

(11-11-2017 11:19 PM)JimP Wrote:  Have you had the chance to try this/tweak it so it could be used on an HP 39gII?

Sorry, what tweak are you referring to?

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - JimP - 11-12-2017 04:19 AM

(11-12-2017 12:42 AM)acapde Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 11:19 PM)JimP Wrote:  Have you had the chance to try this/tweak it so it could be used on an HP 39gII?

Sorry, what tweak are you referring to?

I wasn't referring to anything specific -- the question is really whether it works on an HP 39gII already, or whether it would need to be modified (not something I'd have the skills to do!)

Thanks, JimP

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 11-12-2017 11:17 PM

(11-12-2017 04:19 AM)JimP Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 12:42 AM)acapde Wrote:  Sorry, what tweak are you referring to?

I wasn't referring to anything specific -- the question is really whether it works on an HP 39gII already, or whether it would need to be modified (not something I'd have the skills to do!)

Thanks, JimP

I don't know much about that model but as far as I understand the 39gII has a very different architecture (maybe someone can confirm that) and aplets written in SysRPL for the 39gs don't run on the 39gII. Again, this is just my guess.

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - pavel nemec cz - 12-30-2017 07:31 PM

(11-08-2017 10:04 PM)acapde Wrote:  ... I mention it just in case someone is interested in testing this aplet but is having difficulties to load it in his/her calculator.

Hi Andres,

Thank you for your aplet that convinced me to buy HP39gs which converted that already very powerful and well build calculator to RPN machine (for $17). Your instruction for Win10 connection (mainly USB drivers installation under Win10 Recovery / Advanced options) worked well for me.

I understand your reasoning for choosing buttons as you did but I would like to make some small tweaks (use EEX without SHIFT, use d/dx as 1/X, in MODES bring FIX etc as first option and DRG etc after MORE is pressed).

Do you plan to share more details about your aplet development process and source?

Thank you and kind regards
Pavel

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - acapde - 12-31-2017 01:08 AM

Thank you Pavel for your inputs.

I was just about to “release” a new version but my old dog got sick so I haven't been very focused on this project lately. Let me think about switching the Std, F/S, SCI, ENG position, there are four new display modes in this new version that I need to accommodate: F/E (this is normal fixed mode that switches to ENG mode instead of SCI when needs to use exponential notation), fraction, mixed fraction and ruler fraction. I’m just thinking, I might use the VIEWS key for the display mode, there is no need to hit SHIFT so you’ll be two keystrokes closer...

Regarding EEX and 1/x, d/dx and x,t,theta keys are not been using for anything else so I could duplicate EEX and 1/x functions in those keys, at least for now… I might need to change it later if those keys are required for something else but I doubt it.

The source code is a bit messy at this point, I would need to clean it up and add some comments, not right now but I may include it at a later point.

I’ll send you a PM when I post the new release with the changes.

Thanks again.

Andres

RE: RPN on HP39gs and HP40gs - Jlouis - 12-31-2017 03:30 AM

Well... that is an excellent excuse that I needed to buy a 39GS!!

Thanks!