HP Forums
Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] (/thread-9450.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Roche - 11-09-2017 05:34 PM

(11-09-2017 08:08 AM)salvomic Wrote:  /Users/username/Document/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware here ...
However, Tim Roche, please, control the free memory: Shift-B (Mem) and then "Info" (both Memory and Storage); as I had a similar problem, and that time was the Storage not enough, so I had to do something... If Storage is ok, ignore my hint.

Salvo

Salvo, I have the firmware files in /Users/username/Document/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware, as you indicate.

My calc displays
  • Memory: 17.61 MB
  • Storage: 160.30 MB
at Info inquiry.

When you had to do something, that something was to delete content from Memory?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-09-2017 05:44 PM

(11-09-2017 05:34 PM)Tim Roche Wrote:  Salvo, I have the firmware files in /Users/username/Document/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware, as you indicate.

My calc displays
  • Memory: 17.61 MB
  • Storage: 160.30 MB
at Info inquiry.

When you had to do something, that something was to delete content from Memory?

hi Tim,
in my case (with old FW, however) there was a real problem in the disk, so I had Memory about 15 MB, Storage 0 (yes, zero, strange...), the FW apparently update but obviously it went nowhere in effect, so I formatted the disk and now I have about: Memory 15 MB and Storage 195 MB and the new FW installed well with "new method" selected in CK.
I hope that your storage be ok and in this case the problem is not there, otherwise you could make a backup (in the computer non in calc), format the disk, reinstall FW, reinstall backup and all should work better. However, I repeat, the issue could not be in the storage integrity...
Has someone else had issue with the FW installation? Could he/she control how much Memory/Storage has, please?

Salvo

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Wessman - 11-09-2017 05:46 PM

In your connkit, do you have "Use New Update Method" checked in the preferences? If not, check that and try again. The old updater could sometimes look in a different spot on non-administrator accounts.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Roche - 11-10-2017 01:31 AM

(11-09-2017 05:46 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  In your connectivity kit, do you have "Use New Update Method" checked in the preferences? If not, check that and try again. The old updater could sometimes look in a different spot on non-administrator accounts.

"Use New Update Method" preference was/is selected in the connectivity kit.

I have also tried using alternate USB ports on the same laptop. Installed the software on my backup laptop and attempted to update FW using that laptop. Tried reformating "drive C:" through the diagnostic options on the calc. So far, no success.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Brad Barton - 11-10-2017 04:19 AM

Is there an FTP version available. My conn kit (build 2016 12 8, Rev: 11226) keeps telling me that no updates are available. It may be off line right now, but previously FTP versions were available.

Brad

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - webmasterpdx - 11-10-2017 04:26 AM

You probably already know this, but not all the new commands are in the help (e.g. cloc2, clop2)....not that the help for these commands even in XCAS is very good :-)

Also, I'm not sure that putting the user functions in the catalog is of any use. Keeping the catalog as brief as possible is a good thing, as often you might want to view functions in the catalog as you are trying to find a particular function. Putting the user functions in there kind of clogs the info stream with info that doesn't need to be there (since those commands aren't in the help anyhow).....and...those commands are all available faster via the user menu anyway. Just an observation.

Great job on this release....a lot of new stuff to play with :-)

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - webmasterpdx - 11-10-2017 07:02 AM

In Graph3D, I want to suggest you add a parameter to increase contrast in shading on curved surfaces. There is some shading done on curved surfaces so you can see the curvature, which is really good from a scientific visualization perspective. However, sometimes, the shading is too minimal as to be not visible. I notice while looking at some conic sections, I see the cone as a triangle instead of a curved conic due to the lack of control on the shading. Some simple shading depth or light brightness or something should be easy to add since the code is already there to provide some shading....just adding a means to increase the differential between lightest and darkest point on the surface shouldn't be so hard.
Thanks
-Donald

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - webmasterpdx - 11-10-2017 08:42 AM

When you press the show button from a cas mini-plot to show the fullscreen version, it's a nice feature, but there are no controls. I immediately wanted to trace it. It might be better if you opened this function in the Function app, with the controls that are in there.

Another point is that we need a scale mode to compensate for pixels being non-square in plots. A circle looks like an ellipse. It would be nice if we can recognize a shape for what it is. e.g. Circle looks like a circle instead of an ellipse. Maybe this already exists but isn't documented well?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 08:47 AM

(11-10-2017 01:31 AM)Tim Roche Wrote:  "Use New Update Method" preference was/is selected in the connectivity kit.

I have also tried using alternate USB ports on the same laptop. Installed the software on my backup laptop and attempted to update FW using that laptop. Tried reformating "drive C:" through the diagnostic options on the calc. So far, no success.

Put again the FW files in their folder, open CK and retry, perhaps not all of them are ok now...
Try also with "old method", in a word: try, it *must* work Smile

For info, after formatting, have you still
Memory: 17.61 MB
Storage: 160.30 MB
?

In my two calcs, with some custom app and programs I've storage about 195 MB...

Salvo

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 08:52 AM

(11-10-2017 04:19 AM)Brad Barton Wrote:  Is there an FTP version available. My conn kit (build 2016 12 8, Rev: 11226) keeps telling me that no updates are available. It may be off line right now, but previously FTP versions were available.

Brad

If you want try the beta, download it from here, then put the files you can find in the Firmware folder in /windows/Users/username/Documents/HP Connection Kit/Firmware, then connect the calc and upgrade...

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - ggauny@live.fr - 11-10-2017 09:41 AM

Hi,

In *DATA* 12951 there are *DEMO* programs and usuals pictures.
In *DATA* 11226 there was only pictures.

How to run theses demo programs or may be it is forbiden ?

Really a great work the new HP Prime !

I enjoy especialy new explorer for curves, the finance new (I use also Salvo marvel programs) and of Joe Horn the dfc/dfc2f.

Thanks.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - webmasterpdx - 11-10-2017 09:45 AM

To a point I mentioned earlier....about square pixels. I did notice that the geometry app does use square pixels...a circle does look like a circle....fyi

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 09:47 AM

(11-10-2017 04:26 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  Also, I'm not sure that putting the user functions in the catalog is of any use. ...

IMHO this *is* very useful. Custom program are intended often to extend CAS power (already very great but always integrable with new combinations) and have them listed inside the Catalog could also help to know if there are alternative ways to get the solution of a problem.
For example, I made a few program to add some statistical distributions in the Prime, in the mean time some of them were, luckily, included in the CAS, so I had to decide if keep some of them or remove, and the presence of their names in the Catalog (and the different font, italic, to differentiate them from the built in commands) helped very much to select what keeps and what remove)...
Also keeping those custom functions there, could help to find when a custom function is a different version of a built function and to make a decision if they are still useful or not... Then, if a custom function has the same name as a built in function it could be a mess: to see them listed in Catalog helps to organise them or to change name and so on...

I think that a future enhancement could be provide also an help system for the user programs, and then their presence in the Catalog will be also more important.

I've about 250 custom programs, and the Catalog is still fast enough, without perceptible slowing down.

Using Catalog, try to search inputting some letters: the search is now well functioning and useful. When you have found your preferred command, press Help: it seems to have an integrated system Catalog-Help, with help and examples (that's I would have also for custom programs...): it's very nice!

My two cents, hi Smile

Salvo

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 09:53 AM

(11-10-2017 09:41 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  I enjoy especialy new explorer for curves, the finance new (I use also Salvo marvel programs) and of Joe Horn the dfc/dfc2f.

Thanks.

Thank you :-)

Some programs of mine are still useful. However now the new Finance app does 90% of things that HP 12C can do, and I find this a great goal. Also Inference app is more powerful after some upgrades. I'm looking forward for it could doing also ANOVA 2 (two way) built in (for now there is my program for it in the Library, here).
The Prime, IMHO, is at the moment the most powerful statistical and financial calculator.

ciao
Salvo

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Roche - 11-10-2017 01:15 PM

(11-10-2017 08:47 AM)salvomic Wrote:  Put again the FW files in their folder, open CK and retry, perhaps not all of them are ok now...
Try also with "old method", in a word: try, it *must* work Smile

For info, after formatting, have you still
Memory: 17.61 MB
Storage: 160.30 MB
?

In my two calcs, with some custom app and programs, I've storage about 195 MB...

Salvo

Salvo

To answer your question: after formatting, Info reports
  • Memory: 16.90 MB
  • Storage: 160.83 MB
My calculator (rev A) is an early replacement (from HP) for my original purchase which had some issues with the rocker wheel. So I can not explain the difference in memory size.

Many thanks are in order, however, because the FW update succeeded using the old method (your suggestion).

Gratias tibi ago

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 01:25 PM

(11-10-2017 01:15 PM)Tim Roche Wrote:  My calculator (rev A) is an early replacement (from HP) for my original purchase which had some issues with the rocker wheel. So I can not explain the difference in memory size.

Many thanks are in order, however, because the FW update succeeded using the old method (your suggestion).

Gratias tibi ago

Well, the most important thing is that it succeeded!

I've "A" and "C" Prime and both have 195 MB, but after a reformat of C disk also...

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Wessman - 11-10-2017 04:26 PM

(11-10-2017 07:02 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  In Graph3D, I want to suggest you add a parameter to increase contrast in shading on curved surfaces.

Have you changed your surface shading options? Either press the menu key or go into plot setup page 2/3. Does none of that do what you are looking for?

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - Tim Wessman - 11-10-2017 04:29 PM

(11-10-2017 09:41 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  How to run theses demo programs or may be it is forbiden ?

There are two ways.

1. For many programming flow control commands (things like FOR, IF, CASE) and drawing operations (BLIT, RECT, TRIANGLE) the example in the help will now link you directly to a program source file that gets loaded into your program catalog.
2. When creating a new program source file, there is an "EXAMPLE" menu key that brings up the list on the page where you give your source file a name.

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - dg1969 - 11-10-2017 09:56 PM

Thanks a lot for this new update !

Here's a detail I have notice:

In function app go to plot view and then press help key... the text concerns the stat2var app; ( in french language).
-----
off topic on
-----
I would love to use the theme "dark colors" unfortunately the light colors proposed in page 2/4 of the home / setting menu does not allow good contrast...(for example in the spreadsheet application it is impossible to distinguish the selected cells) except to place the calculator on the desktop upside down so that the direction of vision is slightly oriented from top to down of the screen...

RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Firmware [UPDATED] - salvomic - 11-10-2017 10:26 PM

(11-10-2017 09:56 PM)dg1969 Wrote:  Here's a detail I have notice:

In function app go to plot view and then press help key... the text concerns the stat2var app; ( in french language)...

Also in English language.