HP Forums
New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available (/thread-9283.html)

New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Jake Schwartz - 10-12-2017 06:08 PM

Hi,

A new version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD (now double layer) is now available. The primary updates are:

1. Incorporation of the HHC2017 Calculator Conference materials (669 pages)
2. Expansion of the EduCALC library to include 72 catalogs, 61 Technical Notes, 33 Newsline transcripts and 20 miscellaneous related documents
This represents an increase of over 5,000 pages.

For additional information, check here.

Thanks,
Jake

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - smartin - 10-13-2017 12:34 AM

(10-12-2017 06:08 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Hi,

A new version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD (now double layer) is now available. The primary updates are:

1. Incorporation of the HHC2017 Calculator Conference materials (669 pages)
2. Expansion of the EduCALC library to include 72 catalogs, 61 Technical Notes, 33 Newsline transcripts and 20 miscellaneous related documents
This represents an increase of over 5,000 pages.

For additional information, check here.

Thanks,
Jake

This is a great resource for the community, thanks for all of your work!

I would suggest (maybe in a future release?) moving to a USB thumb drive for distribution. I still have a DVD drive but they are becoming less common on newer machines (in particular macs).

Cheers,
Steve

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Jake Schwartz - 10-13-2017 05:16 PM

Yeah, I have to do some more thinking about it. That may ultimately be the answer anyway, when the 8.5 GB capacity is exceeded.

Jake

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Terje Vallestad - 10-13-2017 07:18 PM

(10-13-2017 05:16 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Yeah, I have to do some more thinking about it. That may ultimately be the answer anyway, when the 8.5 GB capacity is exceeded.

Jake

Hi Jake,

Given the speed of my (and many others) internet connection I would also be very pleased to pay the fee and then be given some sort of access code to directly download the DVD contents, or more likely the updates since I bought the set a few years ago.
Maybe also something to think about.

Cheers, Terje

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Jake Schwartz - 10-14-2017 06:24 PM

In my simplistic view, it would be too complicated to simply post updates, since this latest change added hundreds of files and many directories, as well as updating dozens of other files. The work on this update started last April and involved hand-scanning over 4,000 pages. I haven't ever considered a mechanism for downloading the entirety either....I guess I'm a hopeless old timer :-)

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - pier4r - 10-14-2017 07:01 PM

I throw an idea (that is valid also for the museum thumbdrive and whatever other collection that has versions released every X years and not frequently).

P2P distribution, with torrent, of an encrypted archive. Yes I know someone can play around and try to decode it, but it would cost so much electricity (if the keys are long enough) to be uneconomical and pretty silly.

Therefore:. Archive the contents, encrypt them with a series of generated keys:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/597188/encryption-with-multiple-different-keys

then handle to the users the p2p magnet link assuming that torrent is used (or even the file from a server) and the private key via mail after receiving the payment.

In this way the file is distributed quickly among paying users.

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - Jake Schwartz - 10-15-2017 05:13 PM

It is probably be worth considering.

Thanks,
Jake

RE: New Version of the PPC Calculator Archive DVD Available - pier4r - 10-15-2017 06:56 PM

If you may need help to set it up, maybe I could help.