HP Forums
RPN handhelds with VFD - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: RPN handhelds with VFD (/thread-8883.html)

RPN handhelds with VFD - Harald - 08-22-2017 05:56 PM

Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Nigel (UK) - 08-24-2017 07:26 AM

Lots of early Casio calculators - e.g., Casio fx-10, Casio fx-201, Casio AL8, Casio CQ-1 ..... at least, all these calculators have green glowing displays with the display elements inside a glass tube. I think they are vacuum fluorescents.

Nigel (UK)

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Massimo Gnerucci - 08-24-2017 07:29 AM

(08-24-2017 07:26 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Lots of early Casio calculators - e.g., Casio fx-10, Casio fx-201, Casio AL8, Casio CQ-1 ..... at least, all these calculators have green glowing displays with the display elements inside a glass tube. I think they are vacuum fluorescents.

Nigel (UK)

Not RPN, though.

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Nigel (UK) - 08-24-2017 08:38 AM

Sorry! I didn't read the subject carefully.

Nigel (UK)

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Paul Dale - 08-24-2017 08:41 AM

I can't think of any RPN ones, apart from the Электроника models. I don't know much about the rarer RPN calculators so there might be one.

Pauli

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Harald - 08-24-2017 04:37 PM

(08-24-2017 08:38 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Sorry! I didn't read the subject carefully.

Nigel (UK)

That was my bad, I ment to write "RPN calculators" in the text as well as the topic.

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - JimP - 08-26-2017 11:43 PM

(08-22-2017 05:56 PM)Harald Wrote:  Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald

Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Harald - 08-27-2017 03:50 PM

(08-26-2017 11:43 PM)JimP Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 05:56 PM)Harald Wrote:  Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald

Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.

Thanks for the hint! I just secured one off ebay UK Smile
Would you happen to have the documentation for it? My example will come as the bare calculator.

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Harald - 08-27-2017 05:12 PM

(08-27-2017 03:50 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(08-26-2017 11:43 PM)JimP Wrote:  Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.

Thanks for the hint! I just secured one off ebay UK Smile
Would you happen to have the documentation for it? My example will come as the bare calculator.

Found all I was looking for on Katies website!

RE: RPN handhelds with VFD - Alejandro Paz(Germany) - 08-28-2017 11:46 AM

I saw at least two Czerweny (or some similar spelling) RPN machines in the early 90s, I think they where LED based at least one of them, the one that wasn't programmable. They were supposedly produced in Argentina, too.