HP Forums
TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? (/thread-7785.html)

TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - Gene - 02-17-2017 01:16 PM

On TAS (ok, EBAY), it seems to me that one SPICE series calculator shows up much more often that any other spice, perhaps more often than all other spice models combined.

It is the HP 38E/C.

Granted, you see the HP 31E, 32E, 33E/33C, and 34C on ebay. You also sometimes see the HP 37E (although IMO this is pretty rare), but check me out if you wish, but it seems the 38E/C shows up MUCH more often.

My question is: Why do you think that is ? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to see if anyone here has an opinion.

RE: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - Maximilian Hohmann - 02-17-2017 03:15 PM

I don't know. I have no statistics ready, but on "our" eBay the HP38 is rather rare. It took me ages to get one each of the 38E and 38C. The most common must be the HP31E around here.

RE: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - anetzer - 02-17-2017 05:05 PM

While we´re at it:

Are there at least remotely reliable production/sales figures for the different series? Some data would be welcome...

Thanks!

RE: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - Massimo Gnerucci - 02-17-2017 05:23 PM

(02-17-2017 01:16 PM)Gene Wrote:  On TAS (ok, EBAY), it seems to me that one SPICE series calculator shows up much more often that any other spice, perhaps more often than all other spice models combined.

It is the HP 38E/C.

Granted, you see the HP 31E, 32E, 33E/33C, and 34C on ebay. You also sometimes see the HP 37E (although IMO this is pretty rare), but check me out if you wish, but it seems the 38E/C shows up MUCH more often.

My question is: Why do you think that is ? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to see if anyone here has an opinion.

Spice series was the first one I completed, 16 years ago. I found them in this order:
HP-33C, HP-38C, HP-31E, HP-34C, HP-37E, HP-38E, and finally, together, a HP-32E and a HP-33E.

Now I have 7 * 31E, 3 * 32E, 1* 33C, 2* 33E, 4 * 34C, 1 * 37E, 2 * 38C, 1 * 38E. But this means nothing from a statistical POV, since I care less for financial calculators rather than scientific ones.

RE: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - bshoring - 02-17-2017 08:26 PM

(02-17-2017 01:16 PM)Gene Wrote:  On TAS (ok, EBAY), it seems to me that one SPICE series calculator shows up much more often that any other spice, perhaps more often than all other spice models combined.

It is the HP 38E/C.

Since the HP-38E/C is my favorite, I'll offer an opinion.

The 38E/C was HP's first handheld financial to really get it right. As remarkable as the HP-80 was in 1973, it was so limited in resources, that it left a lot to be desired. The two Woodstock financials had some new features, but there wasn't a major upgrade until the HP-92 printing model arrived with full TVM5 capability. The 38 offered that plus programmability. There must have been a huge number of them sold. The legendary HP-12C is almost identical in function, except for a few additional functions and the horizontal format. I suspect a lot of users who were happy with their 38's ran out and bought the 12C because of its style and the fact that it fits so easily in a shirt pocket. When you think about it, the HP-38 functionality has continued for decades in the form of the HP-12C, mostly unchanged.

As for me, I prefer the vertical style of the 38 and maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer the LED.

RE: TAS question - why does this HP model show up so often ? - rprosperi - 02-18-2017 02:19 AM

I agree with Bob's comments; in particular adding programmability must have led many 80, 70, and 22 owners to upgrade (not so many 27 owners - you know why) immediately. The 12C appearing not too many years later, with it's smaller size, LONG battery life (anything is long compared to a Spice, the Voyagers lasted years!) and sexy new horizontal format brought about another huge upgrade wave, leaving large numbers of 38E/C machines left aside with relatively low mileage.

Also, while engineering machines continued to evolve and add dramatically more powerful features leading to constant upgrades, the financial line was not expanded significantly in terms of capabilities (except for the Solver in the 17B line) so no need to upgrade to a better machine.

It is impressive though how many have survived in working order given how fragile and susceptible to battery leakage damage the Spice models are.

What's your take Gene?