HP Forums
DM12L - Collector's Item? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: DM12L - Collector's Item? (/thread-7121.html)

DM12L - Collector's Item? - DMaier - 10-29-2016 06:16 AM

I'm supposing that, relative to other SwissMicros calculators, the DM12L is not a big seller, since its the only model that directly competes (at considerably higher price) with its HP equivalent.(The DM12 might be functionally equivalent, but size must surely be a factor for most purchasers.)

Assuming that SwissMicros eventually saturates the Voyager clone market (perhaps moving on to great success mass-producing the DM43P), it's possible that the DM12L will be quite rare.
With that in mind, I'm wondering what the potential is for it to appreciate in value. It doesn't seem likely that there will be much of a nostalgia market, but it might eventually be recognised as an interesting novelty by HP-12C owners (who are no doubt very wealthy given the advantages they've received from owning an RPN financial calculator).

RE: DM12L - Collector's Item? - Massimo Gnerucci - 10-29-2016 09:12 AM

I don't think it will be valued much more than an Aurora FN1000 or a Compucessory CCS28956 or a Victor V12...

RE: DM12L - Collector's Item? - PANAMATIK - 10-29-2016 12:02 PM

(10-29-2016 06:16 AM)DMaier Wrote:  ... I'm wondering what the potential is for it to appreciate in value....

It will become rare only if it will not longer be produced by SwissMicros and that could be after many decades. But perhaps the very low serial numbers could be invaluable by now Smile

Bernhard

RE: DM12L - Collector's Item? - Massimo Gnerucci - 10-29-2016 04:08 PM

(10-29-2016 12:02 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  But perhaps the very low serial numbers could be invaluable by now :)

Bernhard

The only collectibles are DM-12CC marked with http://www.rpn-calc.ch, or those missing the back sticker altogether. :P

RE: DM12L - Collector's Item? - renif - 10-29-2016 06:43 PM

We actually don't know in which direction individual collectors move.

On the other hand the calculators made by SwissMicros can be considered a kind of mobile emulating device, i.e. they are not a genuine new product. A typical collector might overlook the DM12L because of its lack of originality. And then there's the special aura of HP's longest selling product - 35 years and still going strong. No other calculator comes close to that record. Far from considering myself a real collector, I'd prefer an HP-12C made in USA or in Brazil over a new DM12L.

RE: DM12L - Collector's Item? - rprosperi - 10-29-2016 06:53 PM

If anything is clear about calculator collectors, it's that someone, somewhere will have absolutely wacky taste (= not the same as mine) and be willing to pay over market price. I'm not sure why folks would buy a DM12L, while genuine HP-12Cs in great shape can be had for as little as $20, but I suppose there are folks that want to have one of everything. I'm like that about some things (though not this) so I do get it.