HP Forums
"Hello World?" - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: "Hello World?" (/thread-6137.html)

"Hello World?" - ViningC - 04-25-2016 03:01 AM

Sorry for the Subject line but I've been a programmer for a few years and it just seemed to fit.

My first exposure to HP products was some time back in the mid to late 60's when I used an HP Oscilloscope in an electronics shop I worked in. I've always wanted to buy one ever since but could never justify the expense. Sad

I purchased my first HP calculator some time around 1973 when I ordered an HP-45. No sooner did it come in than I sold it to a fellow student so I could get the new HP-65. I still own it and it works well except the card reader tends to skip a bit. I was in the process of getting my undergraduate degree and I'm firmly convinced that the HP-65 passed Calculus, not me.

Some time later, I upgraded to an HP-41CX which I still have. It's still in excellent condition except I have to keep buying batteries for it!

For years I used Windows machines because I knew enough about them to teach others and thus help subsidize my income but finally got so tired of Microsoft when they notified everyone that Windows XP would no longer be supported that I switched to Apple computers. Now I run RPN Apps on my iPad and iPhone. It's not near as much fun as discovering exactly what a new calculator can do though.

I retired the first time in the mid 80's but continued working with computers. Recently (well, recently for me anyway, the end of 2014) I decided that I needed a Windows computer after all for all those legacy Windows games I had, so I built my own Windows system primarily for gaming. It's not state of the art (who but the insanely rich can afford that!?) but it runs at a minimum of 4 GHz with a 512GB SSD boot drive and 32 GB high speed RAM. There are a few other bits and bobs to it but it at least keeps my game fix alive.

Hope this is enough to give a small insight into me as a person.

I love HP products because of their quality.

RE: "Hello World?" - Namir - 04-25-2016 10:03 AM

Welcome to this website. Most folks here program in various languages, hardware, and operating systems/ Like you I enjoy HP calculators in both physical and emulator forms (on the iPad and Android tables). I love programming optimization problems and curve fitting problems. I am also a programming language junkie. I love using different programming languages to take advantage of their features. I often translate programs from one language or dialect to another.

Hope you have fun visiting and contributing to this web site.

Namir

RE: "Hello World?" - Thomas Radtke - 04-25-2016 10:39 AM

Welcome to the asy..., erm, museum. Enjoy! :-)

RE: "Hello World?" - ViningC - 04-25-2016 09:31 PM

Why is this called a "Museum"? Because mostly older calculators are discussed?

RE: "Hello World?" - d b - 04-25-2016 10:09 PM

(04-25-2016 09:31 PM)ViningC Wrote:  Why is this called a "Museum"? Because mostly older calculators are discussed?

You didn't find the museum first? Click on the big red MoHPC in the upper left of the page. Theres lots of "exhibits" and unfortunately, you'll probably discover models or HP-41 accessories that you will "need" to find in real life. Coming soon, the collectors 12 step forum.

RE: "Hello World?" - Jake Schwartz - 04-26-2016 07:10 PM

(04-25-2016 10:09 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 09:31 PM)ViningC Wrote:  Why is this called a "Museum"? Because mostly older calculators are discussed?

You didn't find the museum first? Click on the big red MoHPC in the upper left of the page. Theres lots of "exhibits" and unfortunately, you'll probably discover models or HP-41 accessories that you will "need" to find in real life. Coming soon, the collectors 12 step forum.

...but, as Brian Walsh once said at one of the HP Calculator Conferences, we usually then automatically attempt to reduce it down to fewer steps or fewer bytes :-)

Jake

RE: "Hello World?" - ViningC - 04-28-2016 10:58 PM

(04-25-2016 10:09 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  You didn't find the museum first? Click on the big red MoHPC in the upper left of the page. There's lots of "exhibits" and unfortunately, you'll probably discover models or HP-41 accessories that you will "need" to find in real life. Coming soon, the collectors 12 step forum.
Thanks, now I guess I'm in a lot of trouble. Good thing there doesn't seem to be all that much for the 41CX that I don't already have. I got the PPC ROM early on and used to enjoy creating programs that others couldn't duplicate without it.

I also, early on, modified my ^% so that the Enter key was split in half so I could enter "illegal" codes. I also added a micro switch to it so I could over-ride the card protection.

I was using my 41CX once during a commercial flight and the lady next to me was interested in it. During our conversation, I told her, "I really wanted to get the CV." When she asked why I told her, "Those are my initials."

I then had to explain that, no, I didn't create it and, no, I didn't work for HP!

RE: "Hello World?" - Sylvain Cote - 04-29-2016 12:47 AM

Welcome to the Museum. Smile

(04-28-2016 10:58 PM)ViningC Wrote:  I also added a micro switch to it so I could over-ride the card protection.

Very nice mod but you known that SF 14 would have done the trick (P13 of the HP-82104A Owner's Handbook)

Sylvain