HP Forums
From HP 41 to WP 34 S - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: From HP 41 to WP 34 S (/thread-3032.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-07-2015 09:14 PM

hello from France ..
i had a HP41 Cv in 80's.. i sell it in 2005.
now i try to buy a CX or updated CL.

but i just buy (not received yet !) the WP 34 S !!
with the last firmware 3.3
so.
i want to verify :
- i can use all my HP41 listings, like that, right ?
i have four hp 41 magnetic card packs and 2 modules (HP 41 games, HP 67 magneticcards game, HP 41math..) and 20 listing programs i save on magnetic cards.
the only way to use them is .. by hand.. ok ? no way ?
but is there enough memory in the WP34S to save all of them ?
i didnt verify if there is a cable from WP34S and my Pc windows XP, to save programs ?

once i put all my programs on then WP34S, can i make a security copy of all ?
tell me.
---
the printed book.
i see a link to buy the 3.2 firmware WP34S manual book.
can i find a printed 3.3 firmware manual book ?
---

what are the exact differences between 3.2 and 3.3 ?
new functions, amliorated functions ?

--

is the WP34S the best calculator ever (of course without graphics like the hp prime)

better than HP 42, or 35 S ?
do you know a magazine about WP 34 S, and HP calculators, with listings, tips, helm, beginning with the WP34S, .. etc

-what alternative original HP pouch i can use with an WP34S, and also with a HP 35S
also, i know HP35S is made in china, i wonder the HP prime is made in what country ? china also ?

thank you.
Smile

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - walter b - 02-07-2015 10:40 PM

Bonsoir et bienvenue!

So many questions - I'll try answering some:
  • For the difference between v3.2 and v3.3, please see the file attached.
  • For the printed book, please wait for a few days.
  • For a pouch, you can use that of the HP-30b (surprise!) or that of the HP-17BII+ Silver. Also the good old (real!) leather pouches made for the Pioneers will fit.
  • AFAIK, the Prime is made in China as well.
  • Now for your old listings and programs: the function sets of the HP-41C and the WP 34S overlap - the WP 34S doesn't contain a superset of HP-41C commands AFAIK. And yes, the only way to get your programs in is manually. (We don't manufacture card readers, sorry.)
  • The WP 34S still features up to 928 program steps in RAM, up to 6014 program steps in flash memory. That may not suffice to cover all your programs though the important ones. And what's stored in flash is safe there - even if the batteries fail.
Enjoy!

d:-)

[attachment=1588]

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - BarryMead - 02-07-2015 10:52 PM

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  Once i put all my programs on then WP34S, can i make a security copy of all ?
tell me.
If you have (or can download) text files of your original HP-41 programs you can edit them to make them compatible with the WP-34S, and keep them on your computer. The WP-34s has a host of PC tools that allow you to manage WHOLE LIBRARIES of programs that you can compile and load into the calculator over a serial cable! So not only will you have your programs in permanent FLASH memory on the calculator, but you will have editable manageable backups on your computer.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-08-2015 12:48 AM

thank you. Smile

can you write here, when the new edition 3.3 of the printed manual will be available ?
and a direct link to buy it when available ?
thank you. when you write it here, i will receive an email automatically..

of course i dream of a french book edition. but does santa exist..

so is there a cable between the wp 34s and the pc, i didnt understand, and if yes, what kind, and How use it.
a simple serial cable ?
and there is a windows xp software to manage that ? you have a link for such software to download ?
-

i buy this wp34s, because i thought i could tape all my hp41 listings, without any adaptation, exactly like with the hp 42s.. i was wrong ?
Sad

and about the HP 35 S, what pouch of old hp models( brown.. ) i can use ? i dont like the new hard case.

does the WP 34 S can use the original hp 41 pouch ? or an other brown pouch ? witch one ?

--

is the wp 34 s the best rpn calculator
---
for other questions, friends, dont hesitate, thank you !
merci a tous !

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - BarryMead - 02-08-2015 01:38 AM

(02-08-2015 12:48 AM)garfy Wrote:  thank you. Smile
can you write here, when the new edition 3.3 of the printed manual will be available ?
and a direct link to buy it when available ?
thank you. when you write it here, i will receive an email automatically..
of course i dream of a french book edition. but does santa exist..
so is there a cable between the wp 34s and the pc, i didnt understand, and if yes, what kind, and How use it.
a simple serial cable ?
and there is a windows xp software to manage that ? you have a link for such software to download ?
i buy this wp34s, because i thought i could tape all my hp41 listings, without any adaptation, exactly like with the hp 42s.. i was wrong ?
Sad
and about the HP 35 S, what pouch of old hp models( brown.. ) i can use ? i dont like the new hard case.
does the WP 34 S can use the original hp 41 pouch ? or an other brown pouch ? witch one ?
is the wp 34 s the best rpn calculator
for other questions, friends, dont hesitate, thank you !
merci a tous !
Walter (who wrote the manual) already sent out two batches of the 3.3 manual, and is preparing to make available a "Perfect Bound" version that he can sell in single quantities. (The previous spiral bound version required batches of pre-paid buyers to get the cost down). Now that the bulk of the regulars on this forum have their spiral bound manuals, Walter cannot possibly get enough pre-paid buyers to do another batch of spiral bound manuals, so he is switching to less expensive perfect-bound manuals that can be economically ordered in smaller quanties. When he has this new manual ordering system ready, he will let you know the price and how to order one.
Regarding the serial cable. As shipped from the factory the calculator does not have any serial jack, other than the flash programming hole hidden under the battery cover. Many of us modify our calculators to include a tiny micro-USB jack or a 2.5mm stereo headphone jack. See this posting here to see how to add a 2.5mm headphone jack to your calculator or refer to the manual available here to install a tiny micro-USB board inside your calculator.
If you install the micro-USB board in your calculator then the cable is a standard USB to micro-USB cable. If you install the 2.5mm headphone jack the cable ordering url is included in a spreadsheet in the earlier link about the 2.5mm headphone jack.
To move programs/data to/from your calculator/computer you simply run the wp34s emulator on your computer and send programs or data between the emulated calculator and the real calculator over your chosen serial cable.
I can't answer your questions about how similar the HP41 programs are to the WP34S programs (because I never owned an HP41), but both use standard HP FOCAL language constructs so they should be very similar. The main differences will be that some programs use different "internal library" functions so the keystroke sequences to call the different libraries may look a little different. But all basic math operations using standard operators and common functions will be compatible. Hope this helped, Barry

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-08-2015 02:24 AM

thank you, interesting, i wonder if i am able to add this micro usb.
a shame there is no option to pay more and receive durectly a ready to use calc with this micro usb inside.

-
if somebody knows about old pouch
for
hp35s
wp34s

Smile

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - BarryMead - 02-08-2015 02:41 AM

(02-08-2015 02:24 AM)garfy Wrote:  thank you, interesting, i wonder if i am able to add this micro usb.
I have modified calculators using BOTH the micro-USB board method, and the 2.5mm headphone jack method and I find that the 2.5mm headphone jack method is much easier.

The cable is a standard FTDI USB to 3.5mm 3.3v headphone jack cable here with a standard 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter here on the end of it and you only need to solder three wires.

With the Micro-USB board you need to solder at least 5 wires and remove two surface mount inductors.
Also the holes you cut into the case of your calculator are simpler with the 2.5mm headphone jack method
all you need is a small round jeweler's rat-tale file.

Take Care, Barry

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - walter b - 02-08-2015 03:44 AM

(02-08-2015 02:41 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 02:24 AM)garfy Wrote:  thank you, interesting, i wonder if i am able to add this micro usb.
I have modified calculators using BOTH the micro-USB board method, and the 2.5mm headphone jack method and I find that the 2.5mm headphone jack method is much easier.
With the Micro-USB board you need to solder at least 5 wires and remove two surface mount inductors.

Almost, Barry, but these are jumpers. Anyway, if our new French friend won't like to tune his calculator himself, there will be certainly some friendly French folks found here who can do it with/for him.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-08-2015 04:00 AM

if somebody can do it in Paris .. Smile

sure i accept.

i remember the old good time
with ppc rom, synthetic programming, hp keynotes..
good old days.. where are you ?

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - rprosperi - 02-08-2015 02:47 PM

(02-08-2015 02:24 AM)garfy Wrote:  if somebody knows about old pouch
for
hp35s
wp34s

There are many cases available for these models online, for example here is an inexpensive one.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - rprosperi - 02-08-2015 03:06 PM

(02-08-2015 04:00 AM)garfy Wrote:  i remember the old good time
with ppc rom, synthetic programming, hp keynotes..
good old days.. where are you ?

Those days are not gone:

All the HP manuals are now available on a single USB drive here

All the PPC Journals, plus MUCH more, are available here

You can load PPC ROM (plus literally hundreds more) images into an HP-41 using several methods, e.g. here and here

There is now a simple and cheap method using HP-IL to have your PC act as a tape drive and printer here (bonus for you, it's from France)

It's easy to re-live those days, and its much better today. You just need to get involved.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-08-2015 03:12 PM

i know that. thank you, but , i want a real HP one, with hp name and logo.

i need a hp reference to find a pouch with hp on,
one for the WP 34 S, one for the 35 S

example, does the wp 34s fits into an original hp41 pouch, can you try please

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - rprosperi - 02-08-2015 03:37 PM

(02-08-2015 03:12 PM)garfy Wrote:  i know that. thank you, but , i want a real HP one, with hp name and logo.

The WP-34S is made from an HP-20b or HP-30b, which of course come with an HP logo case. I assume you don't like those.

A 34S will easily fit into an original 41 case; in fact since that case was designed for a 41 with card reader, it is really too big (imho) even with the foam inserted at the bottom.

Original black leather cases for HP-35, -45, -55, fit nicely, though also a bit too large. But if you search here in old listings, you will find instructions to make a small quick ref guide which fills this case nicely when inserted with the -34S.

The best fit and nicest case, for my taste, is the leather case for the Silver model HP-17BII+ (not the original Gold version). I have seen these available on auctions, and have purchased a new one cheaply. Be patient, you will eventually find one.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-08-2015 04:27 PM

thank you very much.

who knows a good old HP pouch with hp logo, for the HP 35S ?

---

my best HP store in paris, in 80's was the old store " la regle a calcul", closed.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - Dave Frederickson - 02-08-2015 04:46 PM

(02-08-2015 03:12 PM)garfy Wrote:  i know that. thank you, but , i want a real HP one, with hp name and logo.

Genuine HP cases, battery door covers, manuals, and replacement rubber feet are available from Samson Cables and as Bob pointed out, if you look around on eBay you can find HP cases.

Note that he WP 34S started life as an HP 30b, so look for 30b cases for your 34S.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - Dieter - 02-08-2015 05:20 PM

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  i had a HP41 Cv in 80's.. i sell it in 2005.

I have a 41C since 1981. Later I acquired two more 41CVs. ;-)

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  - i can use all my HP41 listings, like that, right ?

No. The 34s handles some things differently, for instance the Alpha register and the associated commands. Also the 34s has at least 16 digit precision, as opposed to merely 10 in the 41-series, so several mathematical/numerical programs will not work without adjustments.

On the other hand, porting 41-programs to the 34s usually is not too difficult.

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  i have four hp 41 magnetic card packs and 2 modules (HP 41 games, HP 67 magneticcards game, HP 41math..) and 20 listing programs i save on magnetic cards.

Many functions of the math module (as well as the combined Math/Stat Pac) are already integrated in the 34s, so you will not need additional software: Integration, root solving, matrix functions, various statistical distributions and special functions are part of a standard 34s. There also is a very comprehensive set of complex functions.

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  i didnt verify if there is a cable from WP34S and my Pc windows XP, to save programs ?

There once was a special programming cable that was used for flashing the 30B to become a 34s. This cable can also be used for transferring programs from a hardware 34s to the PC emulator. The emulator files then may be stored and recalled on your computer for later use, and finally you can transfer these programs from the emulator back to your hardware device.

This cable is no longer available. But other solutions have already been mentioned.

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  is the WP34S the best calculator ever (of course without graphics like the hp prime)
better than HP 42, or 35 S ?

There is no "best" calculator. For many uses the "best calculator" can be a simple four-function device. But the 34s has an extremely comprehensive instruction set and the accuracy of most functions is very high, up to 34 digits. I don't know of anything that comes close.

On the other hand the hardware has its limits, e.g. the number of keys, the display, the look and feel (HP's 30B is not a high end calculator) and of course there is no match for the expandability of the 41-series. At least a printer can be used (after a hardware modification).

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  do you know a magazine about WP 34 S, and HP calculators, with listings, tips, helm, beginning with the WP34S, .. etc

You just found it. :-)

Dieter

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - garfy - 02-09-2015 10:54 AM

i love hp museum.org !!

do you have a facebook page ?

i have two facebook pages. the one about retrogamers, MSX, TI 99/4A and why not HP ( i will add this subject !), and View-Master 3 D and old comics
is:
"MSX PARIS garfy"
you will see the drawing of a little penguin.. you can like this page and follow me.

on 80's i also had a TI58C
but i quickly sell it to keep my HP41CV !

but i liked red leds.. like a ti watch i had.
if battery could be available, i could buy old hp 29c or hp67.. but with the battery problems..

i keep a like new hp 41 battery, made by a french store. i verified it works well, so i search an HP 41 cx or CL( modified hp41)
i dont find a good one .

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - rprosperi - 02-09-2015 04:29 PM

(02-09-2015 10:54 AM)garfy Wrote:  but i liked red leds.. like a ti watch i had.
if battery could be available, i could buy old hp 29c or hp67.. but with the battery problems..

i keep a like new hp 41 battery, made by a french store. i verified it works well, so i search an HP 41 cx or CL( modified hp41)
i dont find a good one .

Batteries for the 67 are available cheaply on auction sites (they also fit 35, 45,65,70,80,75C/D, etc.), and the 29C battery case can be easily opened and you can use either 2 x AA Alkaline batteries or use 2 x AA-size rechargeable NiCd cells, also cheaply available from many online sites (e.g. here - note you should get the flat-top style as shown).

For the 41C you can of course use N-sized disposable batteries, but rechargeable 41C batteries are also available on auction sites, one seller even offers a lifetime guarantee.

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - walter b - 02-09-2015 05:18 PM

(02-09-2015 04:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  For the 41C you can of course use N-sized disposable batteries, but rechargeable 41C batteries are also available on auction sites, one seller even offers a lifetime guarantee.

Shall that hold as long as ...
  • the seller lives?
  • the buyer lives?
  • the battery lives?
SCNR

RE: From HP 41 to WP 34 S - BarryMead - 02-12-2015 08:04 PM

(02-07-2015 09:14 PM)garfy Wrote:  I see a link to buy the 3.2 firmware WP34S manual book, can i find a printed 3.3 firmware manual book ?
Walter just completed setting up the ordering page for the new perfect bound version 3.3 manual for the WP-34S. You can get yours here.