HP Forums
New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone (/thread-2960.html)

New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 01-29-2015 12:18 PM

It felt kind of missing, so I finally added the HP-35 to my stable of HP calculator simulators.
Designed for the iPhone, it almost feels like the real thing, especially on the iPhone 6.
  • RPN-35 SD - Complete, photo-realistic simulation of the HP-35 for iPhone
  • Switch between version 3 (original style) and version 4 (with key legends molded into keys)
  • Vintage mode mimics HP-35 very closely (arithmetic errors excepted)
  • "Enhanced Memory" mode provides non-volatile memory, Last X, and 9 registers with HP-45-like register arithmetic
  • Decimal points light up when battery runs low
For details, check out my homepage.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - rprosperi - 01-29-2015 01:40 PM

(01-29-2015 12:18 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  It felt kind of missing, so I finally added the HP-35 to my stable of HP calculator simulators.
Designed for the iPhone, it almost feels like the real thing, especially on the iPhone 6.
  • Switch between version 3 (original style) and version 4 (with key legends molded into keys)
  • "Enhanced Memory" mode provides non-volatile memory, Last X, and 9 registers with HP-45-like register arithmetic

It looks excellent (like the prior models), and the choice of different versions is a real nice touch for collectors and HP heads like us.

Do you have any plans of learning to speak Android?

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Gene - 01-29-2015 01:47 PM

Any chance you could add a red dot on the V3 skin when the emulator is turned on?

:-)

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-29-2015 02:48 PM

(01-29-2015 01:47 PM)Gene Wrote:  Any chance you could add a red dot on the V3 skin when the emulator is turned on?

:-)

On a V3? That's nonsense.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Michael de Estrada - 01-29-2015 03:36 PM

Will it work properly on an iPad ? I guess for only $1.99 it's worth a try.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 01-30-2015 09:50 AM

(01-29-2015 01:40 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 12:18 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  It felt kind of missing, so I finally added the HP-35 to my stable of HP calculator simulators.

It looks excellent (like the prior models), and the choice of different versions is a real nice touch for collectors and HP heads like us.

Do you have any plans of learning to speak Android?

Well, CuVee Software is just a one-man-show. Supporting and improving 10 apps in the iTunes Store keeps me busy enough... Sorry.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 01-30-2015 09:55 AM

(01-29-2015 03:36 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Will it work properly on an iPad ? I guess for only $1.99 it's worth a try.

Yes, no problems on the iPad. Works great in 2x (full-screen) mode. However, since the iPad's aspect ratio is 4:3, the HP-35 looks a bit "fat", like on an iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 and 6 more closely follow the aspect ratio of the real HP-35.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - bshoring - 01-30-2015 10:04 AM

It's lovely! And I always wanted a Version 4. Thanks for creating this Willy!
Regards, Bob

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - anetzer - 01-30-2015 09:21 PM

(01-29-2015 12:18 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  It felt kind of missing, so I finally

Willy,

your emulators are most impressive. Next to the i41CX+ they are amongst the things I mainly enjoy on my iOS devices. Thank you very much indeed!

But now that you are addressing "missing" items: I would so very much welcome a versatile emulator of the much younger but equally classic HP-71B on that platform. It is a true pity that so far no one has taken up that task...

a.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - PANAMATIK - 01-30-2015 10:41 PM

(01-30-2015 09:50 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  Well, CuVee Software is just a one-man-show. Supporting and improving 10 apps in the iTunes Store keeps me busy enough... Sorry.

Did you use original HP microcode emulation for your emulator?

I downloaded and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks Bernhard

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 01-31-2015 09:56 AM

(01-30-2015 09:21 PM)anetzer Wrote:  I would so very much welcome a versatile emulator of the much younger but equally classic HP-71B on that platform. It is a true pity that so far no one has taken up that task...

I remember the HP-71B. I used to write programs for it in my working days. A simulation would be quite a job, probably requiring several people (user interface, graphics, BASIC interpreter.) It would also require a working HP-71 to verify proper operation of the simulator. Taken together, an RPN-71 is definitely not in my ballpark...

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 01-31-2015 10:05 AM

(01-30-2015 10:41 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Did you use original HP microcode emulation for your emulator?

Thanks Bernhard

No, all my calculators are built from scratch, based on physical models and manuals. That's why I call them simulators, rather than emulators. (Besides, I don't think microcode is available for the HP-70.)
The advantage of simulators is total freedom in expanding the capabilities of the calculator in any way you wish.
Since I don't own an HP-35 anymore, in order to verify RPN-35's proper operation, I relied on Maciej Bartosiak's emulator, which is microcode-based.

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - PANAMATIK - 01-31-2015 11:28 PM

(01-31-2015 10:05 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 10:41 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Did you use original HP microcode emulation for your emulator?

Thanks Bernhard

No, all my calculators are built from scratch, based on physical models and manuals. That's why I call them simulators, rather than emulators. (Besides, I don't think microcode is available for the HP-70.)
The advantage of simulators is total freedom in expanding the capabilities of the calculator in any way you wish.
Since I don't own an HP-35 anymore, in order to verify RPN-35's proper operation, I relied on Maciej Bartosiak's emulator, which is microcode-based.

Yes, simulation is faster and is open for any expansion but needs more work and never is exactly the original. I felt some limits of emulation in my ACT HP-25 emulator, i.e. I coudn't give a single program more than 49 program steps. However the hardware can be updated any time if somebody (me?) writes HP-25 simulator code from scratch, using C standard math.

If somebody needs the HP-70 microcode, I would be able to extract it, if he can give me an HP-70 and allows me to take it apart.

Just to mention this another time: Your simulators are great and I like the photorealistic skin. For my taste it would be even more perfect, if the info and setting symbols would be invisible.

Thanks
Bernhard

RE: New HP-35 simulator for iPhone - Willy R. Kunz - 02-01-2015 03:11 PM

(01-31-2015 11:28 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  For my taste it would be even more perfect, if the info and setting symbols would be invisible.

Thanks
Bernhard

I heard you. The next update will allow you make the buttons invisible but still working. You'll also get version 1 (with the red dot) and version 2 (the same as v3 since I don't show the front label anyway.) No simulation of the arithmetic problems of v1, though.