HP Forums
Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. (/thread-263.html)

Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. - veeblefester - 12-28-2013 09:07 AM

I cannot find the thread I am offering a solution to.

I was experiencing very squirrely behavior when using the connectivity kit for the HP Prime. The solution, I discovered, was to not use a USB 2.0 hub or the USB 2.0 ports on my monitor. When I decided to try a USB 2.0 port directly on the desktop chassis, the problems disappeared.

We need a longer USB cable for the single user of the Prime!!!

I can understand why the supplied cable is so short if you are in a classroom with a bunch of Prime's operating at the same time. That is, so many antennas. So much radiated RF noise. Observe the added external, clamp on ferrite.

RE: Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. - eried - 12-28-2013 06:09 PM

What erratic behavior are you referring to?

I am not sure if I follow your logic, longer cable = less interference? I think it is very hard to get a better cable than the provided one, and usually they are all shielded inside.

RE: Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. - Egan Ford - 12-28-2013 07:23 PM

I'm using the HP cable connected to an extension cable, connected a HUB, connected to a HUB in my monitor connected to my Mac using Parallels with Windows XP and I do not have any USB related problems with the connectivity kit or the emulator outside of flashing in which I used usbtool to get around.

I have the same cabling setup for libhpcalcs to natively transfer between OS/X and the Prime. Also no issues.

I am not suggesting that your problem is not related to your cables and/or hubs, but that it's not a universal problem.

RE: Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit. - veeblefester - 12-31-2013 12:26 PM

Thank you for your response. Sorry I have taken so long to reply. Holidays and family. The reason I had a problem was a shortage of USB 2.0 ports. Two of those ports were used by external hard drives. I had the Prime plugged into the monitor, which is a hub, and the monitor plugged into a USB 2.0 hub. This series of connections caused my problem. Have a great new year and thanks again.