HP Forums
how do you get special characters in posts - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Issues and Administration (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: how do you get special characters in posts (/thread-196.html)

how do you get special characters in posts - Don Shepherd - 12-21-2013 08:43 PM

In the old forum, I used links to a special page in the hpmuseum site to get special characters like divide, sigma, and square root. Since this new forum has more formatting options, is there a way to get these special characters without using those special codes now?

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Mark Hardman - 12-21-2013 09:12 PM

(12-21-2013 08:43 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  In the old forum, I used links to a special page in the hpmuseum site to get special characters like divide, sigma, and square root. Since this new forum has more formatting options, is there a way to get these special characters without using those special codes now?

The new forum supports inserting \({LaTeX}\) expressions.

See the LaTeX? and Forum Thumbs Up! threads for more information.

Mark Hardman

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Don Shepherd - 12-21-2013 09:58 PM

(12-21-2013 09:12 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 08:43 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  In the old forum, I used links to a special page in the hpmuseum site to get special characters like divide, sigma, and square root. Since this new forum has more formatting options, is there a way to get these special characters without using those special codes now?

The new forum supports inserting \({LaTeX}\) expressions.

See the LaTeX? and Forum Thumbs Up! threads for more information.

Mark Hardman
Thanks Mark. I really don't want to learn a whole new language, I just want to be able to insert a sigma, square root, divide, or multiply symbol. Isn't there a quick and easy way to do that? Latex looks like it is used for complicated math expressions. My needs are much simpler.

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Katie Wasserman - 12-21-2013 10:17 PM

See my suggestion at the bottom of
this thread.

You can invoke 'charmap' by holding down the windows key and hitting 'r', then type in charmap.

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Mark Hardman - 12-21-2013 11:33 PM

(12-21-2013 09:58 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I just want to be able to insert a sigma, square root, divide, or multiply symbol.

Copy and paste from the following Unicode characters:

∑ √ ÷ ×

Mark Hardman

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Don Shepherd - 12-21-2013 11:51 PM

(12-21-2013 11:33 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 09:58 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I just want to be able to insert a sigma, square root, divide, or multiply symbol.

Copy and paste from the following Unicode characters:

∑ √ ÷ ×

Mark Hardman

OK, thanks Mark. I copied those to the clipboard, pasted them in a Notepad document, saved it with Unicode encoding, and was successfully able to copy from that document and paste in the forum post. That's a solution that will work for me.

RE: how do you get special characters in posts - Don Shepherd - 12-22-2013 02:52 AM

Well, after much email exchange with Katie, here is what I found:

Terminators backslash left paren and backslash right paren do not center text on the line, which is what I want normally. Terminators dollar dollar and dollar dollar center text on the line.

The following codes must be surrounded by backslash ( and backslash )

backslash sum gives a large sigma
backslash Sigma gives a small sigma (capital S is required)
backslash div gives a division symbol
backslash times gives a multiply symbol
backslash sqrt{2B+1} puts 2B+1 under the radical
backslash sqrt{} gives just the radical symbol, nothing underneath it